Our partner

Healthy recipes

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Healthy recipes

Postby LittleSomething » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Hello there.
I am a 17 y/o girl, and I have high functioning AS. (And also I'm not native english so forgive me my english xD)
And I wanted to ask about some healthy recipes for me.
Because eating is hard xD I am very picky and I want to try to eat more various things. Is it true that you have to get used to foods and then it will be tasty for you? (I've heard that somewhere, that babies will spit food 5 times before they it it or something, I don't know)
My blood results are in norm so I don't have to worry that much. But I want to eat helthy.

So the main request:
Some simple recipes for dishes with not much ingredients?
Because I don't like complicated stuff with much things mixed, and when I type in "simple healthy recipes" pop out ones that are simply to make, but not the not many ingreedients ones (and I don't know how to type it in english to get what I want, and in my natie Polish, there are worst resources, It's just easier to search in english xD)

Now the background (why I always have to write so long xD)
My mum never really forced me to eat. Because she was a fussy eater as a child so she knowed how it is to be forced. And in my kindergarden the nuns forced us to eat and I was very upset because of it. (They didn't listen to my parents saying that I don't have to eat everything, and I don't like milk and to not force me to eat it (with cereal)) They (nuns) wanted a paper from a doctor that I was alergic to milk for proof???? Like what the heck, they don't legally require it to not give me milk. Even the doctor was suprised, and she was so nice she gave me a fake milk alergy paper)
And the only time my mum tried to force me to eat a pear I felt sick and wanted to vomit, and was very upset so she didn't do it ever again.
I was not diagnosed then, and I was a really good and polite child. I was diagnosed when I was 13 (new school + depresion + OCD).

About the food:
I eat only some things. I don't like to mix things.
For now I like:
- cooked potatos
- fried potatos (on oil)
- fries (bought frozen in store)
- pasta (plane, as everything I write here)
- broccoli
- cauilflower with breadcrumbs
- yellow grean beans (??? dictionary says that xD) cooked or fried (sometimes witch breadcrumbs)
- bread with butter (normal or tosts) This is like my breakfast everyday (we use dark bread, because it's better for you, but sometimes white buns or baugette too)
- bread / bun with olive oil (you just dip the bread in it)
- bread with butter and tomato (+ salad sometimes) (I started to eat this inly year ago, and I like it)
- pickles
- pizza (the best is my mums homemade one. It's dough, tomato sauce on it, then salami, cheese and seasoning. I don't like much cheese, only a little bit, when eating I take of salamy with cheese and it it, then eat the rest that is the best part)
- and recently I started eating pasta with tomato sauce, and I really like it. But It's a really simple tomato sauce. It's made from some whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning (oregano, italian something, and garlic) and that's it)
- buckwheat (cooked is not that good, but fried is preety good)
- corn

I do like some meat but not really, and I don't think the preparing is worth it, i think I'll go kinda vegetarian when I will be living on my own.
But I like fried fish (but I don't really know what fish, because when my mum makes it It's not good often, I like when grandma does it but she lives near the sea, and we live on the oposide end of the country (no sea).

When I was small I liked apples. But then through my whole life I didn't like them xD I was disgusted by them (you can chase me witch a apple core and I will be running away xD) And I was disgusted to touch them. Maybe it's because some kindergarden trauma xD (if we didn't want to eat unpeeled apples we had to chew the pilled skin and spit it if we didn't want to sawllow it (we had to because there are vitamins in it) (this is weird xD)). But now I have overcome it, and I eat them sometimes. But I still don't like to touch them xD
And I absolutly hate mashed apples. Ewww, hate it, it is so disgusting. And banana mash (most of the mashes, but some aren't that disgusting to look at xD (for example strawberries or berries).
Bananas were scary and disgusting for me too. Even more than apples. I can eat a half of it now but I still have problems with them xD
About other fruit, I like strawberries, wild strawberries, blackberries, watermelon, melon, oranges and mandarines.
But about oranges and mandarines, I have to peel them in the special way. First the skin, and then when you have this little parts, peel the skin of them. In there you have little little baloons with juice. I eat them. If I don't peel it way I have hard time swallowing and chewing the parts. It just disgusts me and I feel sick. But when you do it my way, the juice gets everywere so recently I wear gloves eating them, so I don't have to wash my hands after xD (and wipe them while eating again and again)
About seasoning, I don't like curry (or spicy things too much), and I don't like bitter things. I like almost everything to be salty xD (but not the corn. Some people put salt on corn D: )

So that's it I think. Probably forgot some, but not much. (And I didn't include sweets and desserts).
So I am looking for some simple healthy recipes with not much ingredients (I don't like many things mixed together). Mostly looking for vegetables and groats/kasha (? I don't know how it i in english). And some advice c: It's really hard to change what you eat as an Aspie xD
LittleSomething
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Healthy recipes

Postby ogr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Hey

I don't eat healthy due to taste or texture of most foods.

I eat as follows
Pasta with mozzarella and pizza sauce
Pizza
Pineapple
Rice from Indian takeaway
Potatoes - fried, roasted or mashed

Meats I eat all have to be cooked boneless
Pork
Chicken
Beef burgers
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 am

Postby AprilR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:52 pm

How about broccoli with olive oil and lemon juice? It's healthy, and very much tasty in my opinion. Boiled potatoes with green onions make a good potato salad (you can add olive oil and lemon juice to this too) if you like green beans, you can cook them with some tomato sauce too. That's all that comes to my mind for now.
AprilR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 am

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 am

Pan fried cauliflower:
Cut cauliflower head into florettes and then slice florettes into 1/3 inch slices. Pan fry in a single layer (in any oil of your choosing, I like sesame) til golden on one side. Flip, piece by piece to color the other side.
remove onto paper towel and season with S&P

you can do the same with broccolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, green beans etc. Any vegetable you happen to care for.

You can make a soup out of the same if you add broth.

I don't know how "healthy" pan fried anything is, but it is delicious.

A trick with stir fry (things that don't require you to cook one side at a time) is to get the oil smoking hot, throw in the veg, and (holding the pan at a 45 degree angle over the flame) sharply jerk the pan towards your body and then push away (so that the veg richochets against the interior of the pan on the downstroke and then is "caught again in the pan as you jerk it forward, all the while holding it at a 45 degree angle so that the oil in the pan catches fire)... this results in a delicious smoky flavor to your sauteed veg.
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

I'm curious, though. What kind of foods or textures do you avoid due to aspie sensitivities?

And have you tried quinoa? It's high in protein. I think there's even quinoa based pizza.
https://www.simplyquinoa.com/ultimate-q ... zza-crust/
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm