Our partner

Preference for barefoot

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Preference for barefoot

Postby Cuddlepaws » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:04 am

I'm not sure if this is an AS thing at all actually. For most of my life, I've always preferred to go barefoot even against family telling me to wear something because of dirt, debris, etc. Perhaps i don't have aversive touch sensitivity issues, or i actually am fond of stimulating myself in that department.

How are you guys on the sensation of treading ground bare, I personally love feeling the surface beneath me and the freedom of movement that comes with it. I haven't gone out trekking barefoot yet, but I'd love to eventually try it sometime. I've recently gotten myself some vibram fivefingers to replace my sandals/shoes for a gradual transition so i guess that's what spurred me into a discussion.
Cuddlepaws
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Preference for barefoot

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:26 am

i have dyspraxia. there's a perceiveable delay in me wanting to move the lower half of my body and it responding. so, i was always pretty useless at sports and thus anything remotely physical has little attraction for me. and going barefoot wasn't something i was ever encouraged to do when i was young. however, i do enjoy wearing sandals. and i will walk bearfoot outside if i need to, which really means that i can't be bothered to find something to put on my feet. but, in all honesty, i don't think i'd feel comfortable doing this on pavements or roads. it's alright for the yard but it's my yard, which means there's nothing that i'm going to tread on or in and regret it. and that, rather than any sensory issue, is why i simply wouldn't take this any further than i currently do.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am

Postby neal88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 am

I prefer barefoot when inside. Socks just feel like they are suffocating my feet.

Outside however, I prefer shoes or sandals. Sandals I wear barefoot, of course. Shoes, however, always with socks. I had an incident where I was without socks for the majority of a day, which culminated in a 10 hour flight. Sockless. In leather shoes. Unfortunately you do not have to be an athlete to get athlete's foot.
neal88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 am

Postby ogr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

I am very fussy on what I ware... I think this thread can be expanded easily to clothing...

I go barefoot where possible, if I where shoes it has to very comfortable or I just wont ware them, also it maybe a point that I have ankle issues to going barefoot is best all round and such I just put it down to ankle issues...

On the clothes thing I love t-shirts with no pictures on front, just plan colours. I want to get back into waring shirts but not found ones that are comfortable yet.
Diagnosed with Aspergers in 2002
Re-diagnosed with High functioning Autism in 2010.
Re-diagnosed with Medium functioning Autism in 2012.
Diagnosed with dyslexia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dysgraphia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyspraxia in 2000
Diagnosed with Dyscalculia in 2000
ogr
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 am

Postby TDT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 am

I'm good with socks when indoors or slightly outdoors. I wear thin ankle socks only, as other socks are uncomfortable.

I tend not to wear shoes both at home, as well as a work (except in certain situations - like going to the bathroom).

In general, I hate wearing shoes. It doesn't matter the kind of shoe...in general, I find most of them uncomfortable over any period of time. Barefoot is good (as in, without socks), but I tend to wear socks when indoors most of the time.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby TDT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 pm

hah...yay, I just got a rule thrown on me that I can't go barefoot around the office so much :( I can at my cubicle and super near by, but not further than that.

Kinda sucks...oh well.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby sabrdawg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 pm

When I was little, I hated being barefoot. HATED it. I hated the feeling of getting my feet dirty; that dusty feeling they get after being barefoot for a while. I'm still not a fan, however I love being barefoot when it's warm out. I wear sandals and flip-flops a lot. I just have to alternate them with sneakers because my feet do go flat without any orthotic under them. If I go for several days in flatter shoes, my feet start to feel very flat when I walk, which makes it harder to walk.

@ogr: the only kind of shirt I will wear is a t-shirt. Any other kind is too uncomfortable...sweaters, blouses, button-up....*cringe* It has to have short sleeves or be a tank top, and made of soft cotton-type material. That's the only kind of shirt that exists in my wardrobe!
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

Postby Cuddlepaws » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

TDT wrote:hah...yay, I just got a rule thrown on me that I can't go barefoot around the office so much :( I can at my cubicle and super near by, but not further than that.

Kinda sucks...oh well.

Sorry to hear that, i've had similar run-ins with teachers/professors a while back also
Cuddlepaws
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Sh3ld0n » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 am

Cuddlepaws wrote:I'm not sure if this is an AS thing at all actually. For most of my life, I've always preferred to go barefoot even against family telling me to wear something because of dirt, debris, etc. Perhaps i don't have aversive touch sensitivity issues, or i actually am fond of stimulating myself in that department.

How hairy are your feet? :shock:
Perhaps you are a Hobbit throwback? :mrgreen:
The implied qualifier is probably "tendency" if not otherwise stated...
I don't generalise in the classic sense...
My default MO is to think in terms of probabilities/improbabilities...
Sh3ld0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 pm

Postby Cuddlepaws » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 am

Sh3ld0n wrote:How hairy are your feet? :shock:
Perhaps you are a Hobbit throwback? :mrgreen:

well my feet are quite hairless actually, my legs on the otherhand...
Cuddlepaws
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post