Our partner

Preference for barefoot

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Preference for barefoot

Postby katana » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

It actually seems natural that people would be inclined to go barefoot (whether AS or not). You hear plenty of neurotypicals talking about taking off their socks and shoes and dangling their toes in the water or walking along a nice sandy beach...

If it is also any sort of specific AS thing, perhaps shoes cause some stimulation issues? Idk
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby TDT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Well...

For me, and shoes, it makes my feet sweat (which I hate that feeling). Also, shoes do feel like my feet are captured in. It's kinda the same feeling I get while wearing pants, too. I wear shorts whenever possible, and usually loose shorts at that...long pants I try to avoid. For socks, I don't mind wearing them as long as they are ankle sports socks. The fabric in those socks are a little less irritating than the cotton ones I used to wear before I knew these existed.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cuddlepaws » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Also forgot to mention that i have a really compulsive habit of crossing my big toe over the second toe (kind of like crossing your legs but with toes) and i am very disagreeable with footwear that inhibits it. If i can't move my big toe around i get real anxious and frustrated over it.

Overall, textures don't seem to bother me much as i enjoy feeling all sorts of things around me. It's usually the light and noise that get to me, and i often clear away that mental clutter with pinching or lip-biting to refocus.
Cuddlepaws
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sabrdawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm constantly crossing/wiggling my toes. I can't keep my feet perfectly still to save my life!
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 am

Postby Sh3ld0n » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 am

Cuddlepaws wrote:Also forgot to mention that i have a really compulsive habit of crossing my big toe over the second toe (kind of like crossing your legs but with toes) and i am very disagreeable with footwear that inhibits it. If i can't move my big toe around i get real anxious and frustrated over it.

Sounds like a type of restless leg syndrome...complete with the anxiety complement...
The implied qualifier is probably "tendency" if not otherwise stated...
I don't generalise in the classic sense...
My default MO is to think in terms of probabilities/improbabilities...
Sh3ld0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 pm

Postby TDT » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 am

Sh3ld0n wrote:
Cuddlepaws wrote:Also forgot to mention that i have a really compulsive habit of crossing my big toe over the second toe (kind of like crossing your legs but with toes) and i am very disagreeable with footwear that inhibits it. If i can't move my big toe around i get real anxious and frustrated over it.

Sounds like a type of restless leg syndrome...complete with the anxiety complement...

I do this same thing, but I don't think it's really related to Restless Leg Syndrome. Checking webMD(http://www.webmd.com/brain/restless-leg ... ndrome-rls), I wouldn't classify the toe crunching as being about relieving pain. I'd more classify it, for myself, as a form of self stimulation of sorts. I just "like the feeling", and it calms me down a bit. Plus...it's less noticeable to do that vs doing things with my hands.

I don't necessarily get frustrated if I can't toe crunch, but I am very picky about the kind of shoes I'll wear and when I wear them. I prefer to be either totally barefoot or with very thin socks on whenever possible, and if I can't be in that then I prefer very thin and light sneakers. So...running shoes that are very thin, and have little padding. Kinda like if I was nearly barefoot. I'll be wearing flip flops when the weather gets better.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cuddlepaws » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm

TDT wrote:I do this same thing, but I don't think it's really related to Restless Leg Syndrome. Checking webMD(http://www.webmd.com/brain/restless-leg ... ndrome-rls), I wouldn't classify the toe crunching as being about relieving pain. I'd more classify it, for myself, as a form of self stimulation of sorts. I just "like the feeling", and it calms me down a bit. Plus...it's less noticeable to do that vs doing things with my hands.

I don't necessarily get frustrated if I can't toe crunch, but I am very picky about the kind of shoes I'll wear and when I wear them. I prefer to be either totally barefoot or with very thin socks on whenever possible, and if I can't be in that then I prefer very thin and light sneakers. So...running shoes that are very thin, and have little padding. Kinda like if I was nearly barefoot. I'll be wearing flip flops when the weather gets better.

I also do my own "toe crunching", though it may have a different meaning for me. It's as if almost all my joints are crunchable and the relief/stimulation is quite relaxing for me but disturbing to the fellow nearby(from fingers>2nd finger joint>wrists>neck>shoulders>lower back>elbows>ankle>toes). There's something about my joint popping routine that relaxes me and feel reactivated at the same time. Alas, i am steering off topic again...
Cuddlepaws
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm

Postby TDT » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Cuddlepaws wrote:
I also do my own "toe crunching", though it may have a different meaning for me. It's as if almost all my joints are crunchable and the relief/stimulation is quite relaxing for me but disturbing to the fellow nearby(from fingers>2nd finger joint>wrists>neck>shoulders>lower back>elbows>ankle>toes). There's something about my joint popping routine that relaxes me and feel reactivated at the same time. Alas, i am steering off topic again...

Ah..yeah, I crack my fingers, but not anywhere else on purpose. Yes, your definition of toe crunching is different than mine.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Rolling Panda » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:31 am

I never really thought this had anything to do with my disease .. but I get teased a lot because I always where sandals. I was even married in Birkenstocks.

I hate the feeling of shoes and even tho I need to where them at work I wear clogs to mimic the sandal. At home it is always barefoot. I have special carpets I have purchased for my feet that are very comfortable to pace on.
Rolling Panda
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am

Postby Sh3ld0n » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:55 am

Rolling Panda wrote:I never really thought this had anything to do with my disease ..

What disease are you referring to?
The implied qualifier is probably "tendency" if not otherwise stated...
I don't generalise in the classic sense...
My default MO is to think in terms of probabilities/improbabilities...
Sh3ld0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post