Our partner

Menstrual Psychosis and PMDD

Womens health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Menstrual Psychosis and PMDD

Postby 8ohm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I am not sure where to post these comments, questions as there does no seem to be a category for these two conditions. Menstrual psychosis which seems to be a psychosis which correlates with phases of the menstrual cycle (eg - 3 days before menstruation and 3 days after) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (a condition severe enough to disrupt work and relationships).

While researching on behalf of my daughter - who I am wondering now if she has been misdiagnosed with Bipolar I. Does anyone have an experience with either one of these conditions, possibly a misdiagnosis resulting - as apparently these are little known conditions with psychiatrists; and what has worked for treatment.
8ohm
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Menstrual Psychosis and PMDD

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 pm

I am moving this thread to "Womens Health Forum" as I think it's better suited there, but I am leaving what's called a shadow here--so members of both subforums will see the post and comment on it.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:13 am
Blog: View Blog (122)

Postby lilyfairy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am

I have never experienced psychosis, but I do have PMDD. I've never had a psychiatrist (even a female one) acknowledge it- it was my therapist who diagnosed it about 3 years ago (he is qualified to diagnose) after I had a lightbulb moment connecting my suicidal episodes and my cycle. I've dealt with depression/anxiety since I was 15/16 years old- I'm now 32. I've not been misdiagnosed with something else as a result of my PMDD, but the diagnosis was just plain missed and fobbed off as depression.

My depression would become more extreme starting a week before my period started and continuing for two weeks. It was hell. I'd end up suicidal for no reason- the most extreme days were for about 4 days from the start of my period- sit and stare at the wall type depression. Sometimes maybe a touch of mild paranoia with it, and probably a whole load of anxiety too- I can't always recognise my anxiety. It went with severe pain- my GP suspected I have endometriosis, but didn't want to put me through surgery given everything else I was trying to cope with.

I take the pill continuously to help control the mood issues and pain- it's made an enormous difference to my ability to function. I no longer have the extreme episodes- I've no idea how long they had been there really, evidently a long time, and I think it was worsening each year. A nurse treating me one day was horrified at what I was dealing with and calling "normal"- I'd always had male GP's who didn't get it and would just shove painkillers at me for the pain and antidepressants I couldn't tolerate. Then throw their hands in the air. The pill is not a solution for everyone with PMDD- I know that it helps some women and not others. Some women find antidepressants taken before/around that part of their cycle helps (not a solution for me personally).

The long term effects of the pill is something that has been pointed out to me, but really, I'll risk it rather than deal with the alternative of not taking it.

If psychiatrists are not interested in exploring the idea further, perhaps it would be worth considering seeing doctor with an interest in women's health?
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Postby eterea107 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm

I have bipolar 1 with psychosis and PMDD.

My PMDD is severe but I have never been psychotic from PMDD. My psychosis stems solely during bipolar fully manic episodes or mixed episodes.

For me, birth control pills severely affect my bipolar disorder and increase the rapid cycling of my episodes.
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:13 am

Postby Alexa1994 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:16 am

quietgirl2538 wrote:I am moving this thread to "Womens Health Forum" as I think it's better suited there, but I am leaving what's called a shadow here--so members of both subforums will see the post and comment on it.

Good Idea because usually we find more problems related to women as compare to men.
Alexa1994
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 am

Return to Womens Health

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post