Our partner

Feeling unhappy even after weight loss?

Womens health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: thegentlepath

Feeling unhappy even after weight loss?

Postby Anne2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:58 pm

All right, I want to ask you something that may seem strange at first, but it is something that I have been struggling with in recent months, perhaps even weeks. I have lost a considerable amount of weight and I am happy with the results. However, I am not ‘happy’ with myself at all.

Despite the fact that others give you compliments about the weight loss, muscle tone, I still do not feel comfortable in my own skin. This despite having a significant other that calls you attractive and all the good stuff. The moment someone gives me a compliment I am instantly dismissive of it, but critique of any kind always hurts.

Has anyone else gone through the same thing? Have you experienced this feeling before where you cannot seem to shed the ‘old you’? And if so, how (if at all) did you recover from it? I have struggled with this for a while and keep pretending everything is OK, but the truth is that it is really not. Any help is much appreciated!

*mod edit- link removed*
Anne2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Feeling unhappy even after weight loss?

Postby LadyDaria » Sun May 10, 2015 1:20 am

Yes. A few years ago I lost 60 lbs, but I wasn't happy.

[*] I could not see the weight loss. To me, in the photos or not... I looked the same. Intellectually I knew I had lost weight but... my body sort of stayed the same shape but shrunk IMO slightly. Or actually it got worse. Some parts where I was deflated looked horrible.
[*] I still had trouble fitting into clothing. Sure things were easier but, depending on the cut or the style, there could be all kinds of things wrong with them.
[*] Losing weight made it so I needed to eat much less... BMR, and now, eating what would have been considered normal before could cause a gain. I always felt on this tightrope of fear.

Overall either my brain just couldn't adjust or I didn't actually look different. But I felt like I got no benefits from losing weight and couldn't even get my body to get used to eating normal calories without gaining.

How did I resolve it... your not going to like it... I gained it back. In some ways I am unhappy now but in some ways I am not. I do wonder if you brain needs like 10 years or so to adjust.
LadyDaria
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:34 am

Postby maria10 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:10 pm

No amount of weight lost is going to make you 'happy' or love yourself anymore, you have to learn to accept yourself and love yourself at all stages whether bigger or smaller! Body positivity and body love will always be more important than a number, and YOU are much more than too!
maria10
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Postby Alexa1994 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Yes, happiness and positivity come from inside.
Alexa1994
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:34 am

Return to Womens Health

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post