Our partner

Treatment of Depression/BiPolar/Schitzophrenia

Well-Being message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Treatment of Depression/BiPolar/Schitzophrenia

Postby MrGamma » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Sounds interesting straightforward and earnest. Might not be in a medical journal and on a org site, but is an interesting read.

http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/2 ... 1-p048.pdf

The patient, a 17-year-old girl with a two-year history of drug-resistant mood and thought disorders beginning at age 15,had been diagnosed variously as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar and manic depression.

Mood instability was addressed by controlling blood sugar fluctuations through the avoidance of prob-able problem foods (dairy and wheat, artificial sweeteners) while focusing on low glycemic foods (no pasta, grain, cereal, and bread), more organic protein (chicken, fish,eggs, turkey), and nutrient dense “stick to your ribs, slow-burning”foods and foods like bee pollen, rice bran extract, raw organicseeds and nuts. Finally, a socially enjoyable exercise programming of swimming and gentle wieght training was begun.

As of the February, 2003, when I last heard from her and her mother, the patient had maintained honor-roll status through-out her senior year and had been accepted on early decision to the college of her choice after scoring a GPA of 3.89. She has never gone back to her former psychiatrist and wonders now how she let herself believe that her illness, which after all came out of nowhere to strike down an otherwise healthy 15-year-old, was incurable. I was delighted to learn that she had lost 78 pounds and was enjoying life again.

Please note what the Medical profession prescribed before her mother took her to the Nutritionists.

The family physician thought the patient was swinging to bipolar mania and, understandably, referred to a local psychiatrist who prescribed the fol-lowing flurry of medicines over the next 12 months, bringing new side-effects: Respirdol (weight gain and nausea);Prozac (agitation and anxiety); Seroquel (stuporous and poor concentration); Clonazepam (too sedating, poor concentration); Lorazapam (too sedating); Lithium carbonate (stuporous); Neurontin (head-aches and rash); Depakote (headache and nausea) Lamictal (headaches); Effexor (sleep disruption and paranoid); Paxil(stress, paranoia); Zoloft (anxiety and jit-ters); Celexa (ominous sense of doom and sleep disruption).

Inexplicably, once the patient was discharged from the hospital, her psychiatrist started her on Effexor, Clonazepam and Seroquel despite her having no symptoms. Within 2 months, the psy-chiatrist again switched the protocol to Mellaril and Topomax.
"I feel a pathological envy for anyone with such a big brain" - Big Bird
MrGamma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Treatment of Depression/BiPolar/Schitzophrenia

Postby Lucinda » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:08 pm

^^^^^^^
She was probably just a normal attention seeking teenager to start with.. :shock:

Still ,
she has learned early in life.....how effective a little discipline re food and exercise , can contribute so greatly to mental health.

Who knows....with certainty .
Who knows if she would have grown out of it without any meds, healthy nutrition...or exercise?
''Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realisation that there is absolutely nothing to attain.''
Lucinda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby MrGamma » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I have tasted a few "poisons" in my time, and I feel anti-psychotics are among the most poisonous I've had.

Anyways, I think I figured out what the burning brain sensation I was having was. I think my brain had burned through it's glucose or something and was starving. Only had to eat a small tiny bit of food and it went away.
MrGamma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby madjoe » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:51 pm

this calles for...

F R E E H U G S !

ps get naked
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ThisIsMe » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:35 pm

Having been on all of those drugs at one point in my life, I can attest to the side effects sometimes being worse than the actual issue they are supposed to help with. And exercise has helped me greatly with stress, anxiety, and depression. But I wouldn't use that as evidence to conclude that the drugs do not offer benefits to many. Some of them just didn't work for me. SSRI's never agreed with me as they make me feel like I want to put my fist through a wall and my anxiety gets out of control. It was like I ate five bags of sugar and ten cups of coffee, all at once. They do help with the depression though but it is not worth it for me. One time the doctor put me on Xanax to control the anxiety I was having with the SSRI's. It sure enough solved the issue with that but the Xanax turned me into a zombie and the next doctor I saw said it was probably one of the worse decisions he had seen a doctor make in terms of medication. Xanax is not something to mess around with due to the addiction potential. Luckily, I never cared for it and was happy to get off it.
ThisIsMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:53 pm

Ironic, but true.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MrGamma » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 am

ThisIsMe wrote:Having been on all of those drugs at one point in my life, I can attest to the side effects sometimes being worse than the actual issue they are supposed to help with.

I am new to the mental health patient side of things. Normally I fought through things and shook mental illness symptoms off. It was by pure fluke I ended up "incarcerated", forced to take medications.

All I can say is what I believed my whole life is true. Prescription drugs and their dealers in many instances are just as bad if not worse than low grade drug dealers who push dangerous products on unsuspecting people.

Sure, they are good for somethings perhaps, but they are absolute overkill.

What did you think about them calling Sugar and Flour unnatural products. They recently banned bleached white flour in the EU and that Cilliacs disease seems to pop up in a lot of people these days, then the sugar side of things. I bought a raw cube of refined sugar, melted it down and it smelled like bleach.

Sure, sure, I ain't perfect but I have reduced these things substantially in my life over the years.
MrGamma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Lucinda » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 am

Mr Gamma
I bought a raw cube of refined sugar, melted it down and it smelled like bleach.

How ....and why.... would you? :shock: :)
''Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realisation that there is absolutely nothing to attain.''
Lucinda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MrGamma » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 am

Because I found bulk extremely cheap textured vegetable protein and was trying to make protein bars. Sure sure, it's the sludge leftover from cooking oil separation or something, and it has chemicals in it, but I didn't know that, and as a cheap source of protein, not much beats it.

(last year I was working out, losing 5 to 6 pounds per workout, mostly water, and needed lots of protein, or so that's how the theory goes.)

Protein bars are expensive, like 3 dollars per bar, maybe a little less. Now you know why the candy bar rack has gone unchanged for decades. The barrier to entry is too difficult for competitors to compete against massive huge industrial scale long time established manufacturers.

Jesus, they've only just forced out the more electrically expensive light bulbs in my area, through government regulation.

Sure you can probably fly chocolate bar overseas for cheaper, but try and introduce a new bar with slightly more expensive ingredients, and low scale operations who pump put tiny batches, and it's no contest.

What's the biggest innovation to come out of Mars in the last few years. Peanut Free bars, and that's probably because they closed one of their plants that had peanut processing in it. Only guessing. "Innovation"
MrGamma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Lucinda » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:57 am

Mr Gamma -
Protein bars are expensive, like 3 dollars per bar

The cheapest source is whey protein powder added to a shake.....using rice milk, LF milk,....whatever...
I found....when I was trying to be fit 'n healthy.....
That and almonds ( almonds sold for cooking sufficed ....much cheaper)
Lucinda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Well-Being