Our partner

new here. pulling for roots.

Trichotillomania message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

new here. pulling for roots.

Postby coco27 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm

I have been dealing with this for about four years now. That I'm aware of. I could have possibly been doing it for longer automatically, and never noticed. When I did notice, I didn't understand why I was doing it. One day I was sitting on the couch watching tv and was playing with my hair. My head was getting a little sore and when I looked down there was small pile of hair on the arm rest. That's when it hit me that I had been pulling it out. It seriously freaked me out and I had no idea why I was doing it. Since then I've been more aware of when I do it. I also noticed that I tend to wrap the hair around my finger after it has been pulled & play with it for awhile before pulling another. I only pull from my scalp and in different places. So far I don't think it's noticeable. I feel like I have it somewhat under control. The weird thing is, it seems to be a goal for me to pull for the ones with the thick roots. With the white bulbs. Whenever I find a nice thick bulb I run it through my fingers & play with it until it falls off. Sometimes I pull the root off with my teeth. (I don't eat it, but I've heard that some people do). I know this is crazy. I feel crazy just typing it. But it feels so satisfying. I will pull and pull trying to find one with a nice root. I can feel the anxiety build up. But when I find one I'm satisfied with I get a sense of relief. Can anyone else relate to this?
coco27
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: new here. pulling for roots.

Postby Alexicon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi Coco,

Preoccupation with the root is a common characteristic, just like rubbing the hair or follicle across your lips. I always like to go for the coursest hairs, which is also quite common. It's enjoyable to run the bumpy hair between my thumb and index finger, even between my lips. People don't understand how pulling can be enjoyable. At the right angle and pressure, it doesn't hurt at all, and it even feels enjoyable. But the stuff I do with the hair strand afterward (e.g., rubbing it across my fingers and lips), well, that's even harder to explain.

-- Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:01 pm --

Hi Coco,

Preoccupation with the root is a common characteristic, just like rubbing the hair or follicle across your lips. I always like to go for the coursest hairs, which is also quite common. It's enjoyable to run the bumpy hair between my thumb and index finger, even between my lips. People don't understand how pulling can be enjoyable. At the right angle and pressure, it doesn't hurt at all, and it even feels enjoyable. But the stuff I do with the hair strand afterward (e.g., rubbing it across my fingers and lips), well, that's even harder to explain.
Alexicon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 am

Re: new here. pulling for roots.

Postby coco27 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Alex, I do that too. I always run it between my thumb and index finger. The bumpy texture just feels...satisfying. If I find one with a good root I will run it through my fingers over and over. It actually keeps me busy for quite awhile, which in turn stops me from pulling more. Another thing I will do is wrap some of the hair around my finger and slide it between my thumb and index with the other hand. I guess it's a texture thing? I also enjoy the coarser hairs. I do pull sometimes out of anxiety, but I think boredom is the number one time I do it. Like when I'm just watching tv. & it I don't understand. It's confusing and frustrating because when I do it out of anxiety, I understand. It makes more sense. But when I do it out of boredom, for seemingly no reason, just when I'm calm and chill. I don't get it. I know it's an impulse control disorder. I keep telling myself it's not that bad. I don't pull a bunch at a time. Maybe 5 or 6 strands. Sometimes more. I don't have bald spots because I pull from all over. Just one here and there and never too many. Nobody could tell if they looked at me. But I'm afraid that if it continues this way, the results will become obvious. I know I need to stop. Even though it's not too severe. I know it's not healthy. I just don't know how to stop.
coco27
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 1:50 am

Return to Trichotillomania Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post