Our partner

MtF: Where to start, and what to do

An open discussion on trans gender.

MtF: Where to start, and what to do

Postby loneriot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 pm

I have almost literally zero support, and I dont know anyone who has gone through the change. I just have a load of questions about how to start the transformation. I plan to go the hole way, SRS and all, but who do I talk to? How do I find a doctor? How do I even come up with the money for this?
loneriot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: MtF: Where to start, and what to do

Postby lifelongthing » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:12 am

There are programs that help fund GRS. Have you looked into if there is anyone where you are? Maybe you could contact a gender clinic and hear what they have to say? There is also, especially in the US if that's where you are, a big Trans community that might be able to help you. Do you know any local chapters or organizations? Maybe you could google some of it and see if anyone has an opening where you can visit and talk to someone?

Best of luck on your journey.
lifelongthing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Postby loneriot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

I live in Michingan. There isn't much near me. There are a few Gender Clinics south of me but where I am moving to has a lot more options for me to start.
loneriot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I know some educational institutions healthcare plans now cover SRS (UC Berkely et al., and Yale's considering it for a couple.) And cities like San Francisco may already, or be in the process or implementing it:

"San Francisco is prepared to make history by becoming the only city to pay for employees’ sex changes — a move some say is long overdue in ending discriminatory practices against transsexuals."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93510

"National List of Campuses Providing Hormones and SRS [for employees]:
[updated January 2013 by the Consortium]

* American University - one health plan option includes coverage, another option does not
* Harvard University
* MIT ­ hormones only
* Northwestern University
* Penn State University ­ hormones only
* Syracuse University
* University of California 10 campuses
* University of Michigan
* University of Pennsylvania
* University of Vermont
* Yale University ­ faculty and exempt (non-union) staff; union negotiations continue

Student Health Insurance - As of 2011, all UC campuses use the same Student Health Insurance Program that includes both hormones and SRS. The insurance provider is Anthem BC."

http://www.uclgbtia.org/transhealth.html

Thus, if funds are short, get enrolled, or employeed at one of these places to get it as part of insurance plans. Probably other options, but 'free' is hard to beat :)
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Trans Gender

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post