Our partner

8 year old with TS and teacher problems

Tourette's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

8 year old with TS and teacher problems

Postby praise2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am

Hallo! I’ve had TS all my life...but years ago there wasn’t a name for it and you can imagine how it was for me at school and at home! My oldest grandson has it without any doubts (he lives in the UK) but now my younger grandson appears to have it as well (two different families).

I would love more info on the symptoms apart from the obvious tics and face pulling, arms waving about and noises etc. for example as a toddler he would fly into an absolute rage and throw himself on the floor if someone happened to fold his slice of bread wrongly or perhaps the piece of bread cracked slightly. He always needed to be asked how he wanted his food laid out etc. He hardly slept and was a very difficult child. We also found out that he has weak upper arm strength and even now when he writes, it is painful for him. Is this perhaps a TS symptom? He has been for occupational therapy and group therapy when he was younger but never neurological problems.

He is now 8 years of age and is very grown up in lots of ways and thinks deeply ....very serious child...but will suddenly break forth into silly/fun behavior and laugh and really enjoy things as fitting for his age and it is hard to stop him from shouting and laughing etc.

More during stressful times, and especially in the classroom apparently he is ‘disruptive’ as in waving his arms, making noises, shouts and has tics. Other children are staring at him.
He has no worries about this and it doesn’t faze him which is good for his sake at least.

The teacher is now insisting that he goes to an educational psychologist to ‘find out what is wrong with him’ as she says she cannot give attention to him out of 23 other pupils, even though he is in a private school. She is concerned as he never really plays in groups nor does he have friends but if he gets one good friend, he doesn’t wish to lose that friend and is quite possessive. He does however enjoy his own company and also enjoys being alone to play with his games or Lego etc.

It has been suggested that he takes extra English lessons at the school, but apparently this is not allowed UNLESS he first goes to the education psychologist.

We think he would be far better off to see a qualified TS expert as this would fall under neurological disorder rather than ‘education’. The teacher obviously has no understanding of TS here in South Africa.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou so much.
praise2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 8 year old with TS and teacher problems

Postby shock_the_monkey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 pm

this doesn't sound like just TS to me. a lot of these characteristics sound very much like some degree of autism. as such, i think you need to approach his general practitioner to get a referral for a full child psychiatric assessment.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 am

Postby praise2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:07 am

Thankyou.....he was assessed a few years ago and the answer was no to autism.
However, it is worth looking into again and we are currently asking our doctor for a good pediatrician.

Many thanks
praise2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby shock_the_monkey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 pm

praise2 wrote:for example as a toddler he would fly into an absolute rage and throw himself on the floor if someone happened to fold his slice of bread wrongly or perhaps the piece of bread cracked slightly.

... this sounds like an autistic meltdown, though very young children can have these sort of issues and simply grow out of them.

praise2 wrote:He always needed to be asked how he wanted his food laid out etc.

... this sounds like it could be autistic obsessiveness.

praise2 wrote:He hardly slept and was a very difficult child.

... difficulty sleeping can also be a autistic indicator.

praise2 wrote:We also found out that he has weak upper arm strength and even now when he writes, it is painful for him.

... there is a form of dyspraxia that has muscle weakness, and dyspraxia is comorbid with autism.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 am

Postby praise2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Thankyou. Will keep you up to date once he has been assessed.
praise2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Tourette's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post