Our partner

Therapy ending after 8 years

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Therapy ending after 8 years

Postby oceanruby3 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm

My therapist of 8 years told me a few months ago that she is terminating my therapy. This broke my heart. She has helped me so much and now I feel that I am falling. I don't know how I will function without her in my life.

There are so many things I have not told her, because I was scared to tell and she never asked. I have never told her that I am gay. I don't know how I can ever tell anyone these things now, and I don't want to live my life hiding who I am.

Nobody knows me like she does and now she disappears from my life. I already have had slips with alcohol and I have been several years sober.

I feel like she is my only hope for me to be myself, and in two months that is gone. I have three sessions remaining.

I don't know how to cope.
oceanruby3
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Therapy ending after 8 years

Postby lilyfairy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:13 am

A few years ago I finished with a therapist of 8 years. It was a decision made by me though, with some nudging from my Dr when the therapist was cancelling multiple appointments with no effort to make new ones. I was also at a point where it was no longer helpful and progress had come to a complete halt because he refused to work on trauma memories that I didn't understand all the details of. So different circumstances. It was still a process to go through and did feel somewhat of a loss.

My GP helped me find a new therapist, which in hindsight, was something I should have done maybe even 12 months earlier. The new therapist came from things at a different angle and was willing to tackle issues the previous therapist wouldn't. It's turned out for the better. I've had things I've been able to talk with him about that I haven't with anyone else before.

Have you asked her if there is someone else she would recommend who might be a good fit for you? I've found asking for recommendations has been far more helpful than just trying to find someone myself- they've been able to say "this person would be a good fit, but I don't think this other person is appropriate for you to see." Do you know why she is terminating therapy?

Take things just one day at a time- break it down to hours and minutes if you need to. I've not had problems with alcohol, but I self harmed for many years- getting by in hours and minutes when things are really overwhelming and trying to find distractions, any distraction, was the only way sometimes. Can you use the remaining sessions to have her help you come up with a bit of a plan moving forward?

Sending hugs if you'd like some.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post