Our partner

I need to snap out of my insanity

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

I need to snap out of my insanity

Postby savavdpeas » Wed May 12, 2021 4:03 am

When will I snap out of my insanity? I have been taking my medications everyday as prescribed. And yet I am still psychotic. I have tried individual psychotherapy/counseling, but seemingly to no avail. It seemed like my past counselors/therapists thought I was a hopeless case. I have also tried group therapy, but it did not seem to help, either. I could not relate to anyone in the group therapy, even people with Schizoaffective Disorder. I know not being able to relate to others is a hallmark of Schizophrenia, but even to people who are similar to me? Or so I thought.
Diagnosed: Schizophrenia, Social Phobia
Medications: Olanzapine 25mg, Escitalopram 20mg
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I need to snap out of my insanity

Postby Snaga » Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 pm

How solid is that schizophrenia diagnosis? And what constitutes being psychotic? I just wonder if they're trying to treat the right thing.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby savavdpeas » Sun May 16, 2021 2:13 am

I have been consistently diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia for about five and a half years. My very first diagnosis was Psychosis by one psychiatrist, then Disorganized Schizophrenia by another psychiatrist, Schizophrenia by a psychologist, and then Paranoid Schizophrenia by a psychiatrist at a partial hospital program. After that, I saw an APRN who seemingly did not diagnose me with anything. She indicated that I had Schizophrenia in what she said. She would say things like, "So you don't hear voices?" And then she would follow up with a remark that implied that just because I did not hear voices does not mean I don't have Schizophrenia. Then I saw another psychiatrist who was entertaining the idea that I had Bipolar Disorder. But she did not officially diagnose me with anything. After I saw her, I switched psychiatrists again. This psychiatrist diagnosed me officially with Paranoid Schizophrenia. And I have been seeing him ever since then. Every time I saw him, he would reinforce his diagnosis with Paranoid Schizophrenia. And maybe a few years after that, he changed his official diagnosis to Paranoid Schizophrenia and Social Phobia. I have been diagnosed by him with both ever since. I have been seeing him for about five and half years.

I don't know what constitutes being psychotic. Sometimes I wonder if I am being treated for the right thing, too. Thanks for your reply.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Snaga » Sun May 16, 2021 3:32 am

Well to be honest I was wondering about something along the lines of a dissociative disorder. But now mind you that's without going back and reading everything. I mean, you'd think that taking meds would at least take the edge off, if you're experiencing psychosis.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby savavdpeas » Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 am

I have also suspected DID. I have read about it and it seems like it needs to be differentiated from Multiple Personality Disorder. Sorry for the verbiage in my previous post. The meds do take the edge off, but recently I reduced my antipsychotic with my psychiatrist's approval. This was almost three months ago. Ever since then I have been adjusting to my lower dose. I guess it will just take time.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby savavdpeas » Sun May 16, 2021 7:15 pm

I think I've been misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Tue May 18, 2021 9:23 pm

I responded to the other post you made about this, before reading this thread.

DID is very commonly misdiagnosed as schizophrenia, and many psychiatrists are not familiar with how it presents or how to differentiate it from schizophrenia. (Multiple Personality Disorder is simply the old name for what is now called DID--they are exactly the same thing.)

The DID forum is fairly active. You can read posts on there, and even search for key words like "schizophrenia" or "misdiagnosis" to find posts that might give you more specific information about how other people have sorted out similar situations.

Also, you can find a therapist who specializes in treating DID (it's hard to find them, because there aren't very many, but it's possible), and they can help you sort out what's going on.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 am

Postby savavdpeas » Wed May 19, 2021 5:54 am

I appreciate your advice.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2