Our partner

ECT

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

ECT

Postby weepingwillow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Has anyone tried ECT? I had it as one of my first treatments for depression and an eating disorder and although it helped at the time i had terrible memory loss and my mood plummeted as soon as it finished. I have seen it work wonders for others tho and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it?

willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ECT

Postby Wally58 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 pm

There was a good thread on this a couple or more years ago somewhere on the forums. I tried Search for ECT and electro-shock, but haven't found it.

Individual results vary, but it is usually suggested for medication-resistant types of mental afflictions. It is quite safe nowadays. The memory loss may or may not be permanent.

I have never had it done, but wouldn't hesitate trying it if a doctor suggested it.

The Wikipedia has some good information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy

Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ECT

Postby weepingwillow » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Yeh, i didnt hesitate either when it was suggested for me and im glad i tried it. I have seen people totally debilitated by depression and after a course of ECT they were so much better. I also have a friend who has maintenance ECT for bipolar and it works great for her too.

willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Therapy