Our partner

Getting the right therapy

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Getting the right therapy

Postby Manners73 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Recently started talking with a therapist.

I originally went because I have extreme anger/violent behaviour and I really needed help with this as I was fearful of losing my job or worse.

I've always known that I hadn't had the best upbringing in the world and I sort of suspected that I came from an abusive family but my thoughts on the subject were always fleeting.

On talking to this therapist for just an hour it turns out that I had an extremely abusive childhood. Neglect, physical and sexual abuse.

This has in fact had an effect on my behaviour and my relationships with most if not all of the people in my life.

I have a criminal record, have been through drug and alcohol addiction and not to mention the string of mental illnesses and learning difficulties diagnosis that I have accumulated along the way.

I've always had a feeling that I was misdiagnosed with aspergers syndrome but for some reason I just clung onto the diagnosis.

My therapist agreed with me on this.

I think the most important thing about a diagnosis is to get the correct treatment and if the professionals get it wrong then the treatment is either wrong or (as in my case) non existing.

T does agree more with the bpd diagnosis but we're also looking at ptsd.

I never thought I'd get any help. In fact I always thought there was no help out there.

I was wrong.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views