Our partner

Is there anyone who underwent cognitive behaviour therapy?

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Is there anyone who underwent cognitive behaviour therapy?

Postby ChristopherRAllen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:50 am

Hi,
I have an 18-year-old daughter. Since childhood, she was not interested in any parties or meetings where she had to face the crowd. We tried to change her behaviour through home remedies. But there was no improvement. When discussed the problems with my friends, they suggested consulting an anxiety therapy therapist.

Last day we consulted them and explained her problems. They asked her to undergo cognitive behaviour therapy. They said that cognitive behaviour therapy is highly effective for generalized anxiety disorder. Is there anyone who underwent cognitive behaviour therapy? Is it effective? Share your opinion.

Thank You!
ChristopherRAllen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is there anyone who underwent cognitive behaviour therapy?

Postby Wally58 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:31 pm

Welcome to Psychforums. Personally I have not, but I did a few years of therapy for anxiety and depression after recovery from alcohol/substance addiction. They called it 'dual-diagnosis'.
It was a combination of mild medication and counseling. I did have low self esteem and was shy (actually it was a burden of unresolved shame).

I took a speech writing class in high school English where we had to give a speech in front of the class from a speech that we personally wrote. This helped me greatly in self-confidence and fluent public speaking that I lacked before.

I entered the term "cognitive behavioural therapy" in Search and came up with this:

search.php?keywords=cognitive+behavioural+therapy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You may want to read through them and possibly send a message to an active member if you have questions. Maybe someone will chime in here also.
Best of luck to you and your daughter. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Re: Is there anyone who underwent cognitive behaviour therapy?

Postby Aries411 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 pm

I have gone through CBT and have read many book on it as well. Coupled with mindfulness, it is a very powerful tool.

Mindfulness help with staying in the present and not thinking about the past (rumination) or worrying about the future (causes anxiety). CBT will help with the present feeling and throught and help the individual understand the connection between their thoughts, feelings and actions. With problems with anxiety, she will probably learn about some of the irrational thoughts we have like catastrophizing or black and white thinking, which can cause a lot of people anxiety.
Aries411

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Return to Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post