Our partner

Is therapy worth it?

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Is therapy worth it?

Postby wynellis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 am

I know therapy can add up in your bank account, and I'm hesitant about it because I'm not sure if it's right for me.

I've never been to therapy or counseling or anything, so I'm not sure how it all works, but I'm not interested in improving myself. I know stuff is wrong with me, and I want to know what that stuff is, but past that, i don't really care.

I guessss what I'm asking is is there a way to just get a diagnosis of something, or would they expect me to want to change?
wynellis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is therapy worth it?

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Do you not have an official diagnosis of DID? You have different parts posting on the DID forum (not that you need a diagnosis to post there, but it seemed like you already knew that you are a system with different identities). If it's not interfering in your daily life and relationships, and you don't think anything needs to change, then no, I don't think therapy is "worth it." If you wanted to improve the cooperation and communication among parts, then therapy with someone who knows what they're doing can be very effective and is the treatment of choice.

You could just pay someone for a diagnostic assessment, if you wanted to, but people usually do that for a particular purpose (like workplace accommodations, or disability, etc). Even for that you would want to find someone who "believes" in dissociative disorders and knows how to diagnose them.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post