Our partner

Is it normal for therapy to make me angry?

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is it normal for therapy to make me angry?

Postby hologram » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 pm

About two months ago I started going to therapy to sort out the thoughts in my head. I was always the type that internalized everything, and never showed my anger or stuck up for myself. People always told me I was too nice. Before therapy, I would tell people what they wanted to hear just to avoid conflict, even if it meant neglecting my own needs.

Therapy is helping, but I am so angry all of the time now! All of the sudden a lifetime of rage is coming out. I feel anger pulsing through every vein. I'm finding myself being brutally honest with people all of the sudden - I just can't hold my rage in.

Is this a normal reaction during therapy? If it is, how long before the rage wil subside?

I'm afraid my brutal honesty is going to get me into trouble, but it's hard to control the things I say when I'm so angry! For example, a couple of days ago, my boss was being a jerk, and I actually told him he's being a jerk. :shock:

Thanks for your help!
Live a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can live the rest of your life like most people can’t.
hologram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it normal for therapy to make me angry?

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am

I too tend to internalize my anger and am interested to see how your situation develops. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I don't believe everything I think.
Reality and fantasy are sometimes best kept separate.
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Cheze2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:25 am

My boyfriend says that therapy makes me be in a pissy mood for 3-4 days after I see her. I think it has to do with all the issues that are brought up that make me think about things in ways I've never thought about them. You have to work on controlling that anger. Try counting to 10 before saying the first thing that comes out of your mouth. Maybe talking to your therapist about ways to control your anger would be helpful? Perhaps it might just mean that you need to not bring up as many things that could produce such deep feelings. Perhaps your not ready yet. It's good to bring up with your therapist though.
Bipolar I with Psychotic features; Borderline Personality disorder; GAD
Today's cocktail is: Quetiapine 100mg; Latuda 40mg; Trilafon: 8mg
Forum Rules
"No matter how long the night, the dawn always breaks" -African Proverb
Cheze2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:34 pm

Postby hologram » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:13 am

Cheze2 wrote: I think it has to do with all the issues that are brought up that make me think about things in ways I've never thought about them. You have to work on controlling that anger. Try counting to 10 before saying the first thing that comes out of your mouth. Maybe talking to your therapist about ways to control your anger would be helpful?

Thank you Cheze2. I will try this.
Live a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can live the rest of your life like most people can’t.
hologram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:14 pm

The trick is to find a happy medium between no expression and, say, yelling at your boss. I wouldn't be surprised if your therapist has seen this before. As far as I understand it finding the right balance for expressing anger is one of those things that you keep working on. I'm still working on it at any rate.
I don't believe everything I think.
Reality and fantasy are sometimes best kept separate.
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby hologram » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks Anomalous Cluster - good point. I will have to talk to my therapist about finding the right balance. It is also nice to know that I am not alone.
hologram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Mick » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 am

Hi, little late response perhaps, but didn't see this thread earlier :P

It sounds to me like you have the same type of reaction I have after I've been to my psych. i have trouble with showing (my true) emotions at al and everytime we talk about how things make me feel, especially after things got close to me, I'm a rollarcoaster of emotions. People hardly know what to do with me because they're not used to experiencing me like that :D
A '' :D '' indeed, because my feedback from them is that is makes me more 'real' to them

I've told my psych this happens and he said it's quite a normal reaction with people who actually are able to really do something with the therapy. It only means I'm working on my issues also when not in a session, and don't need to get confused, scared or whatever, but just try to accept it. Things will settle down/come in quieter water after a while.

And yes it does for me, so I hope for you too! Good luck!
Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength (Eric Hoffer)
Mick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (13)

Return to Psychiatry

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post