Our partner

Are Psychiatrists Always Like This?

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Are Psychiatrists Always Like This?

Postby Piano~Phantom » Sat May 15, 2010 3:49 am

I'll try to keep this as short as possible:

My mom made me go into the city today (Kansas City) without my knowledge of--though I suspected it--to the psychopath's hospital to see a shrink. First off, I had horrible panic attacks driving by the huge buildings and under the bridges, but that wasn't necessarily the problem, though it will poise some issues in the future.

I went to the psyhiatirst against my will for a mix of reasons like auditory hallucinations and some other things my mother recently found out about (like me thinking I'm not in reality and that I've thought that rooms were bugged with microphones and listening to me and cameras to watch my every move) as well as some OCD and ODD tendacies as well as a mix of some other oddball stuff. The psychiatrist was completely infatuated with me. He watched me as I reorganized this play house for kids and ordered each room by the style of the furniture, the wood color, and then the color of the toy itself. He was just completely fascinated by my case, which really isn't that much anyways compared to the other people I've seen and read about.

First off, he struck me as a complete fake. And second, I was so majorly freaked out by the car ride, the building, the idea of it all, him... And I don't want to go back.

My brain feels cold, I get headaches, and my head feels like... I can't explain it. I just want it to stop, but it only gets worse when I'm there. I don't want to go back because I feel so alienated. I hate it. I don't want to get help. I don't want to explain my problem. But my mom won't let me quit! She doesn't understand what it feels like! (Sorry for ranting).

So two problems:

1. Are the psychiatrists always like that?
2. Anyone else feel like this? It makes me regret even wanting to bring it up. It makes me want to runaway and not have to go back. I'm also scared because he wants to do tests with my brain and I don't know what he has in mind.
"Could we fix you if you broke?"

-Stefani Germanotta, "Speechless"
Piano~Phantom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are Psychiatrists Always Like This?

Postby Black Dove » Sat May 15, 2010 4:40 am

Would you prefer he be aloof toward you?
I was hung from a tree made of tongues of the weak
the branches were bones of the liars, the thieves
Rise up above it, high up above it and see
Black Dove
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:17 pm

Postby bpladybug » Sat May 15, 2010 5:52 am

First of all, don't worry about testing. That will usually involve questions, and perhaps even a paper test for you to complete. Nothing will be done to your brain itself!! Go back and do it. You need the help.
All you have said was that he was interested in you. He sounds nice enough. Wouldn't it be great to find a medication which would help your paranoia and hallucinations? The quality of your life would improve. You can ask him for something to relax you during the drive if that is so frightening to you. There are medications for anxiety. It is wonderful that your mother brought you to him. How old are you anyway? Was he a child psychiatrist? Are you a minor? That would be helpful information in your post.
Bipolar 1 managed with a juicy cocktail of Lithium/Neurontin/Seroquel; a little Xanax and Ambien, lots of fish oil, supplements, exercize, and CBT therapy.
bpladybug
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Postby Piano~Phantom » Sat May 15, 2010 6:48 am

bpladybug wrote:First of all, don't worry about testing. That will usually involve questions, and perhaps even a paper test for you to complete. Nothing will be done to your brain itself!! Go back and do it. You need the help.
All you have said was that he was interested in you. He sounds nice enough. Wouldn't it be great to find a medication which would help your paranoia and hallucinations? The quality of your life would improve. You can ask him for something to relax you during the drive if that is so frightening to you. There are medications for anxiety. It is wonderful that your mother brought you to him. How old are you anyway? Was he a child psychiatrist? Are you a minor? That would be helpful information in your post.

Yes, he is a child psychiatrist and I am a minor (13). I've become somewhat suicidal the past hours because my mom won't let me quit and the last thing I need is having to talk about something that I've managed just fine on my own for eight years and having to bring up stuff and explain myself when these two f--ktards could just get a decent vocabulary. Maybe I just don't want to visit my dad because I don't find pleasure in hanging around alchoholic bums. It's not that he raped me or anything. Sorry for the bad language, but I've gotten a lot of self-hatred the past few hours and she won't listen to me because she has no idea what it's like.

If you have done perfectly fine managing yourself but just now admitted and no one knew, is there really a reason to have to put me on medication anyways? If I can just live in my fantasy world and listen to the crashes and whispers without intervention, I do just fine. Bring it up as a problem that needs to be assited and that I'm some crazy psycho who needs electroshock therapy and that my think it upside down, I'm going to be a little ticked off.

I regret bringing it up so badly. I regret going to the doctors to get my back checked out, too. I'm going not going back there.
"Could we fix you if you broke?"

-Stefani Germanotta, "Speechless"
Piano~Phantom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:17 am

Postby Yorick » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 am

Hello Piano, I am not a medical professional in any way, but here are my 2 cents based of of experience. First off, the news you don't want to hear, you should really continue treatment, it will help in ways that can be hard to see from where you are now. Now for the news that you might find useful. If you are not comfortable with this psychiatrist you should try to find another one you are comfortable with. Take it from someone who made the mistake of not switching, nothing will get better if you cannot open up to your doctor. Talk to your mother, tell your not comfortable with this doctor and you want, you need, to find another one. I hope this helps.
ADHD: Primarily Inattentive
Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio.
Yorick
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:17 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Return to Psychiatry