Our partner

I think I have been misdiagnosed

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I think I have been misdiagnosed

Postby savavdpeas » Sun May 16, 2021 8:45 pm

I think I may have been misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia. I do not have much experience to back up this statement, but I still think it holds true. I went to a group therapy program at a partial hospital program years ago. While I was there, I could not relate to anyone there; even the people with Bipolar Disorder and Schizoaffective Disorder. I have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and yet I could not relate to people who are supposedly similar to me. Why is this? I understand that not being able to relate to others is part of Schizophrenia, but even to people who are similar to me? Or so I thought.
Diagnosed: Schizophrenia, Social Phobia
Medications: Olanzapine 25mg, Escitalopram 20mg
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I think I have been misdiagnosed

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 pm

Can you see a different psychiatrist for a second opinion? You can explain what symptoms you have and why you think they don't fit with schizophrenia.

It's not unheard of for people to be misdiagnosed with that, especially if they have symptoms that looks psychotic but are due to something else, like dissociation, for example.

The symptoms that most distinguish schizophrenia from other disorders are the so-called negative symptoms: apathy, blunting of affect, poverty of speech and thought, not being able to enjoy things, not interested in social interaction, not motivated, lack of social interest and inattention to social or cognitive input. (got that from a quick Google search...).

Other symptoms, like hearing voices, or thought insertion, or some of the other "positive" symptoms are very non-specific and can be due to many different things. Those alone are not enough to diagnose someone with schizophrenia, but unfortunately, it happens a lot.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:13 pm

Postby savavdpeas » Wed May 19, 2021 6:04 am

I have seen several different psychiatrists over the years. All of them prescribed me antipsychotic medication. I think I have deficit syndrome, which is a negative symptom. I also have experienced other negative symptoms. As far as positives, I have had plenty of those. I am not sure if I have ever experienced thought insertion, but I have hallucinated. I have also gotten extreme paranoia and delusional ideations. Thanks for your input.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby savavdpeas » Wed May 19, 2021 6:15 am

For quite a bit I believed I had Autism. But after years of dwelling on it, I finally realized that I just have a lot of social awkwardness, indifference, angst, and sensory overload. Just because I experience those things does not mean I have Autism. Maybe I had it mistaken for Social Anxiety Disorder, which I have been officially diagnosed with. I also used to believe that Social Anxiety was really "Social Autism". I believed that the only times I exhibited symptoms of Autism were in social settings. However, now I know I do not have Autism. And if I exhibit stereotypical behaviors, so what? It does not mean I have Autism.
savavdpeas
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Psychiatry