Our partner

Psychiatrist doesn't want to take the talking route?

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Psychiatrist doesn't want to take the talking route?

Postby aystro » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi guys, perhaps someone that has gotten further than me in understanding psychiatrists could leave an opinion?

I went to see psychiatrist and the doctor sort of has little interest in hearing my story out. How I started to have depression and anxiety, somatic symptoms. He believes it's not very important what life events triggered it for me to suffer from it, instead he said I need to have an MRI done and certain stomach tests considering my symptoms are all over the place from breathing difficulties to stomach pains to ear ringing. And he insisted on my first 1,5 hour session with him that I take anti-depressants.

The thing is I used to be quite healthy until I started to fail in life at age 18, I'm now 30. I am just overwhelmed by this. My brain and body resists this kind of treatment. Are most psychiatrists really pushy and argumentative? Is this normal?

Appreciate any replies.
aystro
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychiatrist doesn't want to take the talking route?

Postby Wally58 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:38 pm

How many sessions have you had so far?
After an introduction and brief patient history discussion, the doctor may have a treatment plan for you already in mind.
Physical problems must be ruled out first. I went through a lot of blood tests for chemical imbalances. After your numbers look good, then psychiatry and medications will be more effective.
The treatment plan should be fully open to discussion.
I was in physically bad shape by the time I went in the get help. My electrolytes were all over the map. I was malnourished and disoriented.
Pertinent parts of your story may become important later.
I didn't find the doctors necessarily pushy or argumentative, but time is money and I just did what I was told because I was out of answers and out of 2nd chances. I am doing well today.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Postby aystro » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:23 pm

First, thank you for your response.

You are saying that even if a person 'knows' deep inside that certain key events triggered the symptoms long term. Still this person should not rely on it, and instead do tests. I am hypochondriac along with anxiety/depression/somatic symptoms/ibs/claustrophobia issues. So things like sticking my head into an MRI machine just to check something is a battlefield for me within my self.
aystro
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby aystro » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:37 pm

I had 1x 1,5 hour session. And then 2x 1 hour sessions. In the last session the male psychiatrist spent about 25 min arguing with me about how medication is bliss and how he can't let go of it. I told him that I'm very underweight and eating little. And I have no interest in fighting, because I am already weak as it is. So he said the anti-depressants would boost my mood from a 2 to a 5 on a 10 scale. And that the side effects of oversleeping and overeating would benefit me, despite that I already sleep a lot on my own. My worry is that it can get worse. And considering my lifestyle of frequent travel, I don't even know whether I can get the same medication in Third World countries where I spend a lot of time.

My blood tests were fine by the way. And I never had any serious health issues.
aystro
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Philonoe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:12 pm

It seems that his knowledge turns around pharmaceuticals.

He is not someone to talk to.

I think you need a therapist. Be doctor or not, someone able to listen to you and help you.
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 pm

Postby aystro » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:39 am

Philonoe wrote:It seems that his knowledge turns around pharmaceuticals.

He is not someone to talk to.

I think you need a therapist. Be doctor or not, someone able to listen to you and help you.

He said that the process is 50% anti-depressants and the other part is therapy. However I'm not getting the feeling that he will want much talking considering initially he wanted to see me just once a month. While my idea was twice a week.

Appreciate your response.
aystro
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Philonoe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:16 pm

So if you want to take the talking route, better find an other person.
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 pm

Postby Wally58 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Or rely on the doctor for the medication end of it while attending EA or some other 12-step support group for the talking part of it.
My doctor was pressed for time with too many patients, so the mental health facility enrolled me in group therapy for talking support as well.
One-on-one sessions with a dedicated therapist was an incredibly expensive proposition.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Postby aystro » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks guys
aystro
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Psychiatry

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post