Our partner

Client Confidentiality

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Client Confidentiality

Postby katiemarie55 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 am

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist to confirm my primary doctor's tenative diagnosis of me as bipolar in about a week, and I have some questions regarding confidentiality that I haven't been able to find solid answers to.
I know I should tell the psychiatrist that I've shoplifted before because it can be a symptom of bipolar disorder, but I'm worried about what will happen if I do. I'm pretty sure they can't tell anyone, but I would really love to be reassured about that. (Sidenote: I know shoplifting is wrong, and I have been trying to do it less. Sometimes it's hust almost impossible for me to control my impulses.)
I was also wondering if my parent would have to be in the room with me while I'm talking to the psychiatrist because I'm underage (I'm 17). Again, I don't think they would have to be because of confidentiality and stuff, but I'm not positive.
Also, I live in Michigan if that makes a difference regarding confidentiality laws and stuff.
I would greatly appreciate any advice/information, and thanks for taking the time to read this in advance!
katiemarie55
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Psychiatry