Our partner

Psychologist Maybe an Addict?

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Psychologist Maybe an Addict?

Postby Raindog1965 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi All,

I am new here. Not sure if I am posting in the right area. I did try to.

I began to see my Psychologist about a year and half ago for anxiety. Been seeing her almost weekly the whole time with some time off here and there. Certain things have happened during the 18 months or so that have made me suspect that she could have a substance abuse problem. Flakey appointments, nodding off, once I had a completely diTherapy is kinda weird. I feel like I dont really know her but, I do like her. I've read up on it, transference and other stuff so I think I understand this. But this also works the other way. I dont really know her, so I could be mistaken. I am concerned if I dont say anything it could end up badly for her and I feel compelled to say something. Question is should I say something? Should I dance around it in case I am reading the situation wrong? Or should I just ignore what I think could be so and just keep focusing on my health, which is what Ive been generally doing on the couch at least. My thoughts about this situation are more after my sessions, not necessarily during. Although it does come to mind briefly during sometimes...
Raindog1965
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychologist Maybe an Addict?

Postby Akuma » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:57 am

Raindog1965 wrote:Hi All,

I am new here. Not sure if I am posting in the right area. I did try to.

I began to see my Psychologist about a year and half ago for anxiety. Been seeing her almost weekly the whole time with some time off here and there. Certain things have happened during the 18 months or so that have made me suspect that she could have a substance abuse problem. Flakey appointments, nodding off, once I had a completely diTherapy is kinda weird. I feel like I dont really know her but, I do like her. I've read up on it, transference and other stuff so I think I understand this. But this also works the other way. I dont really know her, so I could be mistaken. I am concerned if I dont say anything it could end up badly for her and I feel compelled to say something. Question is should I say something? Should I dance around it in case I am reading the situation wrong? Or should I just ignore what I think could be so and just keep focusing on my health, which is what Ive been generally doing on the couch at least. My thoughts about this situation are more after my sessions, not necessarily during. Although it does come to mind briefly during sometimes...

Well theoretically "free association" always means saying whatever comes to your mind, so if you have "my therapist has a problem" in your mind that would count as everything ^^
Personally I have to admit I dont have the guts to confront my therapist about all his quirks, either though. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. He gobbles nicotine gum for example when I am "challenging" as he calls it lol - last time I told him that nicotine is more toxic than cyanide, so far no nicotine gum in my sessions anymore. Guess he takes it secretly now ;)
But anyways, if its important to you then if you can find it in you, just talk about it.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:38 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Raindog1965 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Thank you. That was helpful. I like "my therapist has a problem" approach. Makes it less personal and more in my comfort zone.
Raindog1965
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Raindog1965 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Thought I would update, in case it could be helpful to future readers. I did bring this up in session. Turns out this was at least some transference of my own problem with marijuana to my doctor. I hadnt admitted my marijuana use to her before. She neither confirmed or denied if she had a problem. I still think she might have and me bringing it up shook her, she has become a better therapist very quickly :). But I am choosing to not dwell on that part of it and instead using it to work out my dependence on weed ongoing.
Raindog1965
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Psychiatry