Our partner

About my psychiatrist

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

About my psychiatrist

Postby Onyixa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new here so sorry if it's not the right place where I should post this or whatever.
And English isn't my native language but I think it'll be understandable.

So, I finally went to see a Psychiatrist this year cause of lots of problems, the desire to kill myself and weird things I think about.
It'd be too long to talk about it all, but I really believe I have problems, no one knows about it except my bf but he understands.

Anyway, so I went to see one but I couldn't talk by myself to take the appointment so my mom did it for me on the phone, but she thinks I want to go see one to "talk to someone who understands and won't judge me" but it's not the case, I just want someone to tell me that something is wrong so I can be helped and finally feel normal (which I never did).

First time I saw her, I talked a bit about my childhood, almost "normal" problems a lot of childrens have, that I already wanted to die, but didn't mention the sick things I thought about and that I still think about.

I didn't talk that much, I need to know her better, I'm really shy, some years ago I couldn't even talk to someone I didn't know or look at them in the eyes.

Second time was special, it was with my mom about something but it's not important.

Third and last time for now it was the same as the first, I didn't talk a lot, just about things that piss me off everyday.

The thing is that, I don't think she understands why I went to see her, isn't she supposed to guess that if I don't talk it's cause I'm shy and that she should help me speak more?
I mean, she just gave me an appointment 2 weeks later (she usually gives me every 1 week so yeah)
and during the same week I saw her, I had a problem, went to see the school nurse, a professional for some problems and even thought of taking medicine, or cut my wrist something like that and I've been "sick" (more mentally than physically) for some days now and didn't even go to school.

Should I see another psychiatrist?
I'm scared that it'll be the same thing with him/her and I don't really wanna tell my problems (or even the things I don't want to talk about) to more persons than I already did.

Thanks for your help.

Ps: I guess what I want to do are exams to know if I have problems, do psychiatrist do that?
Onyixa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: About my psychiatrist

Postby seabreezeblue » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am

a tough one for sure.. you can't manage to talk about the biggest stuff that bothers you and the therapist doesn't realise that there's a lot of stuff that you're holding back on.
isn't she supposed to guess that if I don't talk it's cause I'm shy and that she should help me speak more?

^^ sadly.. nope.

Psychs don't do much prying because they often feel that allowing people to talk in their own time and when they're completely ready to is the healthiest way of doing things.
A psych that pushes is one that can cause problems..

Some people are very intuitive and can pick up on when someone needs to say something and they're just nervous/shy.. your psych is not one of these people so she needs you to help her out by speaking.

Have you thought about writing some things down instead of trying to speak about them.?
Writing can be really useful at times and many people do that when they see therapists if they feel they'll have problems remembering everything or being able to speak.

xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:10 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: About my psychiatrist

Postby Onyixa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yeah, that's it, but like I said, I feel like I need to know her more and more but I'm afraid I'll never know her enough to talk to her about these things.

Oh I didn't know that, I thought they were supposed to ask questions, talk etc.

Yep, that's a great idea, I thought about doing that; writing down, but I know that I won't even read it cause it makes me nervous, something like that, so I think I'll give her what I wrote.

But I always think that my problems aren't that "important" you know, like I have really dumb and little problems (scared to talk with someone for example) and there's toooo many like that.
I began some weeks ago to write them down everytime I think about them but yeah, I didn't get them all and I'm scared that she'll say it's normal and that nothing is wrong.

Like I said, I feel like I need something to be wrong to be really helped so it can finally stops.
How can she know I have a real problem? I'm talking about a disorder, do I have to ask to make exams?
(I'm not hoping I got something really important but something that can be like.. cured instead of having nothing and be like that for ever.)
Onyixa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Psychiatry

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post