Our partner

me and my shrink get on like a house on fire

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

me and my shrink get on like a house on fire

Postby SBBro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:54 am

Not bragging!
I am just wondering if this can be a bad thing?
We both have curious minds, he likes his job and seems happy with his life.

He does not share anything personal about himself at all and I always address him as doctor.

But he listens to all my crap and he criticizes me if necessary to set my thinking straight. He doesnt have phoney face expressions and we debate things a lot. He wins A LOT more points than I do but when I win he doesnt arrogantly deny or dismiss my point of view.
So I know my place, and he is very far off from abusing anything such as offering me medication for no reason, he is highly professional without being like a typical jaded arrogant doctor.

Anyway I am just wondering if this is normal or if I am lucky?

I think if you dont like your therapist you should find a new one you can get along with, personalities are complex and different people will get along with different people better. He seems to like me as a patient which is unusually refreshing.
2012 "just anxiety"
2013 inpatient 'suicidality, MDD etc
2014 "youve been diagnosed with everything under the sun"
BPD
Current meds: Zoloft 25mg
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: me and my shrink get on like a house on fire

Postby loise » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:22 am

hi sBBro,
I think you are lucky! I have a good one too, although we've had our ups and downs...
I have met other two, and the feeling was very different, it was like two people dancing,
one tango and the other one salsa. it left me with a pretty bad taste.
so enjoy it! (while it lasts?)
loise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

Postby SBBro » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 am

Yea possibly while it lasts. He has to keep long term watch on me because I am psycho but I dunno how much of my $#%^ he can take. I have a lot of knowledge in what can be described as auxillary psychiatry and my own psychology.
I also bash psychology a lot because it deserves it.

His job is to get people with no empathy off drugs, he has the social skills to do it but I think I am much more knowledgable than most his patients. I am not sure if I am a lost cause or not but I have a solid plan for myself, I just dont know if he sees me as good or evil. (NPD or BPD)

Pretty much though his main job is to make sure I am not a danger to society.
2012 "just anxiety"
BPD
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby loise » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:54 am

hi "SBBro"]Yea possibly while it lasts. :)
He has to keep long term watch on me because I am psycho but I dunno how much of my $#%^ he can take.

I know what you mean, It took me years before I shared some things. I was too afraid to scare him away.

I have a lot of knowledge in what can be described as auxillary psychiatry and my own psychology.
I also bash psychology a lot because it deserves it.

..sometimes I am afraid to outsmart my psych...I also read a lot, so sometimes I am reading him, and wondering or trying to understand if he has a good plan and he is carrying it through, or he is just following his intuition and half guessing. I am afraid I might manipulate things....

His job is to get people with no empathy off drugs, he has the social skills to do it but I think I am much more knowledgable than most his patients. I am not sure if I am a lost cause or not but I have a solid plan for myself, I just dont know if he sees me as good or evil. (NPD or BPD)

my experience, seems to be, that some kind of psychs, enjoy an intellectual challenge, and the fact that we are able to speak about ourselves, give them also insight over disorders that otherwise they would not have....I also have the feeling that mine enjoys my own research...
my question is sometimes, who is leading the treatment? or is he letting me do it as part of the treatment?
Pretty much though his main job is to make sure I am not a danger to society.[/quote]
...or to yourself, I guess....this is what scares me about the thought of changing,
do they wear out? do we wait until we think that they are so predictable that we have stopped
growing or learning? but others are precisely dangerous, because they think that they know better than you what is best for you....so in this case, I prefer mine, he is pretty respectful of my process..
loise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SBBro » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 am

my question is sometimes, who is leading the treatment? or is he letting me do it as part of the treatment?

No1 really, they can only make suggestions and its up to you to follow. All they care about is 2 things:

1) you pay them
2) you show improvement over time

They arnt allowed to give solid advice.

The ones you have to look out for are:
Pill pushers
Express too much empathy in their face (its trained behaviour)
Arnt frank enough to criticize any insane beliefs

(when you are insane) Doctors like above are just time wasters and they know enough about psychology to get you trapped in a cycle to see you for monetary reasons. Be carefull if they share personal info with you about themselves such as their family. Other patients mentioned anonymously are okay but take it as #######4.
2012 "just anxiety"
BPD
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby loise » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am

goao!! this is news to me! all of it,
I need some time to think about it!!
you just brought me down to earth! auch!

but thanks!....I will think my answer a couple of times....you seem to have a lot of experience? this is my first psychiatrist so I have no way of comparing!

No1 really, they can only make suggestions and its up to you to follow. All they care about is 2 things:

1) you pay them
2) you show improvement over time

They arnt allowed to give solid advice.

The ones you have to look out for are:
Pill pushers
Express too much empathy in their face (its trained behaviour)
Arnt frank enough to criticize any insane beliefs

(when you are insane) Doctors like above are just time wasters and they know enough about psychology to get you trapped in a cycle to see you for monetary reasons. Be carefull if they share personal info with you about themselves such as their family. Other patients mentioned anonymously are okay but take it as #######4.[/quote]
loise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Psychiatry