Our partner

Seeing a Psychiatrist for the First Time

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Seeing a Psychiatrist for the First Time

Postby Surrealism » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:13 pm

Today I went to the college psychologist for the first time. Therapy isn't anything new to me, I've been going on and off since I was 7 or 8 years old, and will be 19 in March. Anyway, the visit was concerning my anxiety (social anxiety and a slew of panic attacks that occur throughout the semester), and my mood shifts. The visit went well; it was an initial visit to take down my history and a questionnaire of sorts. Anyway, I told him that I feel like my mood shifts abnormally and is disproportionate to what I feel in a given situation. I told him that for a while (when I was 15 and before medication) I thought I had cyclothymia. I told him I don't mean to sound like a hypochondriac, but that I am a psychology major.

Anyway, he wants to meet with me again. He thought I should focus on doing work on mindfulness group therapy, and that the sessions should focus on my mood shifts. He seemed a bit surprised that I had never seen a psychiatrist considering I've been going to therapy for so long, and told me that I would be referred. Since I've never been, I'm scared of what will happen. Mood disorders run rampant in my family on both sides (major depressive disorder mainly). I know that I won't take any mood stabilizers because I'm terrified of the side-effects (my medication is used on a per needed bases now with minimal side-effects).

I'm more willing to go to see if there is a name to why my mood shifts, and seek treatment if I need to. What do you guys think? What should I expect? :/
"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
-Grateful Dead Ripple
Surrealism
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Psychiatry