Our partner

feel like my psychiatrist is taking advantage of me

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

feel like my psychiatrist is taking advantage of me

Postby ocilac » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:37 pm

this long, but i feel desperate, incredibly upset and anxious about this situation.

So earlier this year I lost inusrnace and, after five motnhs of attempting to cope, reasearching ways i could afford re-continuing my adderall prescription, and saving up money, i began calling doctors. i settled for one that had among the lowest prices and the soonest available appointment. as many other of the other drs he insisted upon an intital evalutation appointment that would cost in the mid $300s, (despite my prior 3 years of constant and successful medication with dr. references)and told me that, following that, i could have tri-mpnthly appointments which would cost $125 each. i explained straight off the that i was initially medicated for severe lifelong depression that none of about a dozen other medication had at all impacted until I ended up in the hospital, as well as a result of an add screening, though the former was obviously my primary concern (but I had received massive benefits directly implicative of ADD). I have always been honest and genuine about the reasons I am prescribed despite my potentially better judgement and this has never before casued problems. i also made clear my financial instability and that this was the reason ia sked about the apt. sequence/pricing.
after teh first apointment, he told me he was scheduling one a month later. i asked about the priorly described schedule, and he said if all was well in a month we could maintain that. I told him I had been on this course of treatment for three years, and he told me this was simply the way he worked with new paitents, i didn't feel like fighting anything at that point.

at the next meeting we spoke and i mentioned some anxiety issues upon the drug wearing off, though also tol dhim that had initially occured when i first began it and had tapered off. he vocalized that there would be no downside to trying some sort of medication for that. i to some effect shrugged and agreed, and for the millionth time he asked about previous medicatipns ihad tried, mostly SSRIs (though not entirely) which had absolutely no mental effect and stated that the only thing I had peaked any interest at all i ntrying was anything concernig norepinephrine, . He was clearly unknowledgable about this neurotransmitter in deperession/anxiety but hid it well, so I told him simply that my brother had recently begun seeking medical treatment and mentioned one that helped him with stress and i couldn remmeber which, so the dr starte dlisting medications, and when he came to 'effexor' i said that i thought that was it, but-was clear i wasn't sure
so he says we can try it and prints off a bazillion pages of side effects, etc.
at some points before and after this decision I had reassured him that this anxiety would probably go away and I thought I would be fine and he sort of weaseled into saying that regardless I would have to come in next month. Again, I double-questioned him, but did not feel like fighting it

i go home, ask my brother abouth is medicated and it turns how although it was one he had treid (presumably why it sounded familiar) it was not the norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor he had mentoined, and he copy and pastes this one sentence from wikipedia which states that in small dose it only effects seretonin--and obviosly, you begin with small doses and also obviously, norepinephrine was not remotely the primary target. I left an intital voicemail and one two weeks later for the dr that i hadnt filled the prescripton but was doing better anyway.

At this third appointment the dr. apoglogizes we never got a hold of each other, so i finally explaim face to face that i never filled it and why, and he goes 'oh yeah, i probaby should hav etold you that’ (about the epinephrine. He had no memory of our prior appointment, not that this surprises that coerns me, I know he has many patients, but he said various things about the Effexor which made this blatantly obvious (ie. ‘oh I usually start people on it cause its cheap’)

So at the end of his appointment with no changes in treatment he initiates booking another apointment for the nest month, at which point i question him. he says something like 'well, given that you had a case of depression it is highly likely there will be a reoccurrence.
this was such a ridiculsou thing to hear. I explain (not for the first time) that I was consistently severely depressed smy entire life and could not fathom not feeling that way utnl this medication. i had no reaction to numerous others, i do not even react positively to recreation drugs, and had been utterly miserably my entire life untilr the last three years during which I had have not felt that way once.
‘but we are not treating your depression,’ he tells me
I tell him that I am not depressed at the moment.
‘that’s good,’ he says. Then delves into ‘what happens when this drug stops working and when I am having to increase the dose and so on.
I tell him I don’t understand how this is specific to this medication.
He suddenly assumes a patronizing voice and lectures me about how this is how he treats, how he was taught to treat, so on and so forthe. Finishing, he said in an odd way t that i could find another dr. if i didn't like that --of course he knows tha tihave invested in him already, etc. and i am a little shocked as well as too unsure of my sitatuion to be assertive. And he is suddenly acting like there is will be no forseeable change in schedule at all.
and then as if nothing has happened he starts asking me if this day or that day is better.
I think for a second, then say 'um, wait.. isnt' that in like two weeks?"
“Huh?” he goes 'wait.. oh, okay, you're right, i dont know what i was thinking--hjow about this day?'
I guess ill never know if that was intentional, but even after that, while It is the 17th of this month he asks for the 13th of the next one. j dont know what i am going to do at this point and simply accept it. At this point he is suddenly calm, friendy again, as if nothing has happened, though i am obviously upset.
I feel hugely taken advantage of and stuck in this situation. i put off a move from this city, which i desperately want/need, soley becuase i had invested in a new psychiatrist. This is a lot of money for me to shovel out and I am incredibly stressed and angry about it. Do I seem justified? I have seen 3 pscyhiatrists previously in 3 different states, (the last in the same one as now) (and did not experience anything like this.
ocilac
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Psychiatry

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post