Our partner

Is This Unprofessional?

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is This Unprofessional?

Postby Boomkat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 am

I recently started a new drug therapy (as in, within the last three days). After day two I could feel myself getting agitated, restless, etc. Then last night I basically didn't sleep (got maybe 3.5 hours). This is usually a problem for me because of severe mania.

My psychiatrist has told me in the past that anytime I sleep less than 4 hours on the night, its an immediate phone call to him. So I did, and had to leave a message with his secretary. Instead of calling me back, he had his secretary call me back. (She is not a medical professional, just an administrative assistant). His advice was, give it a day or two more, and if it doesn't get better then call me back.

Having his secretary call me back prevented me from being able to ask him any questions at all - such as whether this is related to the new drug, or is the start of a manic cycle, or both.

I'm totally pissed. Is it unethical/unprofessional for him to be relaying treatment related messages to me through his f-ing secretary?
Bipolar 1, rapid cycling, psychotic features
Lithium- 1200mg, Clozapine - 75mg, Latuda - 80mg, Cogentin - 10mg, Zolpidem - 6.25mg

"When life knocks you down, play dead. That way life will move on to someone else and leave you alone." -- Me.
Boomkat
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is This Unprofessional?

Postby Cate68 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:55 pm

I'd research and find a psych that has a psych nurse on call and that way you have a good, professional liason. :-D

Good luck.
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

Everyday I live is an act of rebellion.

Maverick-a dissenter, an artist
Cate68
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 am
Blog: View Blog (266)

Postby cpsp4207 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:02 am

MDs do it all the time.
Drives me nuts.
So, I don't necessarily think it's 'professional' but seems to be pretty common in the medical field.
cpsp4207
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Postby Boomkat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:03 pm

cpsp4207 wrote:MDs do it all the time.

You're right. Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Guess I just wanted to speak to him directly. LOL!
Bipolar 1, rapid cycling, psychotic features
Lithium- 1200mg, Clozapine - 75mg, Latuda - 80mg, Cogentin - 10mg, Zolpidem - 6.25mg

"When life knocks you down, play dead. That way life will move on to someone else and leave you alone." -- Me.
Boomkat
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Postby Ana B » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:27 am

I don't think it's unprofessional. If he told you to call him, yet he couldn't answer, he still left a message, showing he cares. Some professionals don't even give their phones. Others want payments for each time they talk to patients.

Consider the possibility that your psychiatrist was busy, and remember: If he left a message, it's because he cares. Also, if he didn't call you back, from his experience he believes it was a one night thing.

Don't find another one just because of this. Give your psych a chance :)
Ana B
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:44 pm

Postby AngelTears » Sun May 11, 2014 5:21 am

I don't think it's unprofessional, but you have the right to tell the secretary that you do not wish to discuss your health issues with her, but directly with your doctor.
Dx: BPD.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch
AngelTears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Psychiatry