Our partner

Inappropriate Behavior

Psychiatry message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Inappropriate Behavior

Postby ceruuu » Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 am

I recently changed psychiatrists because of my most recent meeting ending in a horrible explosion. I had had only four meetings with this particular psychiatrist and was just barely starting to open up to him. On my third meeting, I went in alone with out my mother and at the end of it, he hugged me. Which surprised me and I quickly apologized for almost having a panic attack. I'm not comfortable with displays of affection with people I do not know, but I shrugged it off as him being a nice person. My mom thought it was also a nice gesture, but I still felt tense and afraid.
On my fourth and final meeting with this psychiatrist( I demanded that I have a woman psychiatrist after this meeting) my mother and I went in together, she asked for her medication and I sat there. I was surprised when she left because I was still afraid of him, but I hadn't told her anything about it. So, it wasn't her fault. We talked for a short period of time, he bumped up my cymbalta dosage and at the end of the meeting he went to hug me. I tensed up and stood there as he hugged me, but was shocked and disgusted to find out that he kissed me on the cheek. He said goodbye to me and I ran out of the room as quickly as possible, ignoring all the secretaries glances. I wanted to cry and I scrubbed my cheek with my sleeve until it was red. I couldn't believe he did that to me! He had never hugged or done anything like that with my mother, so I felt touched inappropriately.
Also, to make matters worse, my best friend didn't see why I was so upset even though she knows I am not comfortable with displays of affection. It made me angry that she didn't understand how I felt even though I had explained it as thoroughly as possible.

What I'm asking of you, my dear psychforum companions, is do you agree with me that this is inappropriate behavior?
+Additional information
-I only had four meetings with him, two and 1/2 of which my mom was present and he never did anything when my mom was around.
-I haven't told anyone other than my bestfriend about what happened during the fourth meeting.
:cry:
Thanks for reading this x
Lexapro, Abilify
ceruuu
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:36 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Inappropriate Behavior

Postby sleeper^ » Tue May 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Ask to NOT see the same one again ( the psych who hugged you )

If anyone asks.. say you felt extremely uncomfortable with the last one (& DON"T wish to see him again)
You have the right now to not want to see him again ( & therapy now will not be effective anyway )

As you will be afraid / & not thinking (as you will be worrying / thinking about the hugs when with him)
instead of thinking about what you should be (Eg- your own issues ) & what took you there in the first place

A psych ( should not be just hugging you - as it is not only impolite but you should have been asked firstly if it was ok to do so !t )
& he also should have also picked up on your body responses ( that it is/ was not appropriate for you ) as your reaction should have told him that ! Also he should not have kissed you on the cheek ( there was NO reason to do so !) - yes inappropriate behavior

YOU have the right to not be hugged if you don't wish to be!
And your reaction is enough of a reason ( for the therapist not to do it again ) it is not something you are ready obviously to be 'exposed to ( eg- hugs from others you are not comfortable with ) ..
sleeper^
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Inappropriate Behavior

Postby ceruuu » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 am

Thank you very much for your response and I've already made the switch to a new, female, psychiatrist. Hopefully this one will be better. I will explain to her on my first meeting that I do not wish to be touched at all. Thank you.
Another question for you, do you have any idea as to why he would be doing those things? (Very unprofessional and triggering things) I'm still at a loss for it myself and I really don't want to go back and ask him. I realize this is a vague question, considering you do not know him personally or at all, but I was wondering if this was a common occurrence in psych offices? I hope that makes a bit of sense.
Thanks for reading again x
Lexapro, Abilify
ceruuu
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:36 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Psychiatry