Our partner

I'm scared to see a psychologist.

Counseling message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I'm scared to see a psychologist.

Postby Enigmatic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 am

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum thing, so please don't hold anything against me. I'm a senior in high school and there's been a lot of pressure lately, social, family, and education wise. I've been wanting to talk to someone for a while, but my parents don't want me seeing a therapist of any sort because they want to believe that I'm fine. I'm scared to even reach out because 1.) I don't know who to talk to 2.) I don't want my parents to know 3.) if I go to the school psychologist, my friends might look at me differently especially with the stigma around people who have to see therapists (mentally incompetent) and 4.) I'm scared that if I talk to someone they might use it against me at some point. The idea of trusting someone with my personal problems terrifies me, and admitting that I need help is extremely terrifying. What should I do?
Enigmatic
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm scared to see a psychologist.

Postby Wally58 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Only you can decide this.
If things don't feel OK, they likely aren't OK. Many people, including myself have asked ourselves, "Why didn't I seek out this help sooner?"
It was the best thing I ever did and very likely saved my life.
If you are over age 18 and considered an adult, the parents don't have to know. One-on-one sessions with a school counselor, clergy or social worker should be covered under HIPPA, which assures your anonymity. It is no one else's business, but yours and the professional's.
I knew I had a problem and I had tried for years to solve it by myself. It was personal and I was ashamed of my weaknesses. It was a relief to finally share it with another person. It made my problems much smaller and manageable.
Not enough people get help until it is too late. There is a stigma with problems being a weakness. Getting help takes courage. Asking for help should be seen as a sign of strength.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Counseling

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post