Our partner

Fixing my own irrationality?

Counseling message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Fixing my own irrationality?

Postby Hommel » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am

hello,

i believe in determinism. because of that, i think that the human will/mind is not free.
but whenever i see people doing things, which are harmful to themselves (drugs, lots of alcohol and so on) i can only think "its his own fault". based on what i feel, i seem to be totally convinced that it is their own responsibility.

if the human mind/will is not free however, people cant really decide what they are going to do and therefore, not matter what they do in life, they cant be responsible for that.

so what i think of this world/people is contradicting what i feel about them. some part of me seems to be irrational in those things.

do you know any way to fix that or to at least make it possible to work with my own irrationality?
Hommel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Fixing my own irrationality?

Postby synth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm

do you know any way to fix that or to at least make it possible to work with my own irrationality?

You could start understanding it: Psychosynthesis says that one of our biggest problem is that we believe to be monolithic (with a specific identity almost unchangeable). That's the reason why we feel something wrong when we discover some contradictions in ourselves.
Indeed, we can explore and experience a lot of subpersonalities cohabiting and leading us until we become aware of them.
I think you're right: we are both determined (often unconsciously: defense mechanism, hurt...) and free (recognition, acceptance and will can help us changing and being knowingly responsible).
If you're interested in reading something about the above-mentioned approach, developed by Roberto Assagioli, I suggest you one of his most famous book, "The Act of Will".
You'll find many interesting ways to improve your self-awareness: psychosynthesis furthers an harmonious integration of the individual at different levels (body, emotions, mind, soul...) through a wide variety of techniques and methods.
synth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Counseling