Our partner

Councelling sessions and not remembering childhood all that

Counseling message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Councelling sessions and not remembering childhood all that

Postby monkeyman28 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:57 am

I've been feeling a bit depressed lately. I have big fears of something bad happening to my body, teeth, veins, etc.

I've been to 3 sessions of counceling in the last month. We're not talking at all about my current "attacks"/fears, but mostly about childhood.

In the last session my therapist told me that he wondered if there is something big I haven't told him, which I said there isn't. The truth is that my childhood wasn't the greatest, I was kind of a scared kid, I've always been insecure and struggled socially, but I don't recall anything that bad.

In all fairness... I almost never think about my childhood anymore and don't recollect my time at primary school, high school, all that well... I remember bullying on most schools, which was very painful back then at the time, but I haven't thought about it in years... I'm 28 now and I don't recall any childhood memories that bring up strong emotions. I don't feel that much strong emotions in general.

I can write a lot of journals and write many pages trying to explain how I feel now, but struggle to recollect childhood stories. I do have childhood pictures on my PC, from holidays, etc. so I can try to look at them to try and bring back more memories I haven't thought about in a long time.

I have another session this weekend, but I feel sometimes that I'm struggling too much with recollecting childhood memories etc. Any tips?
monkeyman28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Councelling sessions and not remembering childhood all that

Postby Kevin_pf » Sun May 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Hope things are going better for you! I say let memories come up a their own pace. I avoided talking about childhood for years. EMDR actually destabilized me and brought out PTSD and dissociative symptoms full force. It was at that point that I HAD to talk about childhood in therapy. Gentle is a better approach. Many people do therapy and never talk about childhood. If it's not relevant to your current life it's not relevant o your current life.
Kevin_pf
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:42 am

Re: Councelling sessions and not remembering childhood all that

Postby charlene25 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:58 am

I don't remember much of my childhood either. Luckily I'm with a therapist who isn't focused on that. Some people need to revisit their childhood and help fix those wounds to move on, while for others it may be helpful to know that's where things stemmed from, but the focus is more on working on current issues. It might be worthwhile to talk to your therapist and ask why they think it matters so much, but if you truly feel it's not terribly relevant, I don't think there's any harm in saying so and/or finding someone who is a better fit. Caveat: sometimes even though you don't think something matters, doesn't mean it doesn't. It's complicated!
charlene25
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:42 am

Return to Counseling