Our partner

Addicted to alcohol?

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Addicted to alcohol?

Postby weepingwillow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:37 am

Apparently my team think I'm dependant on alcohol bc it makes me feel better. I drink maybe twice a week but was refused help before bc of it. They said I didn't have enough routine. Anyway, alcohol actually cheers me up son I don't drink that much so I don't think it's an addiction x

Willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (8)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Addicted to alcohol?

Postby NewSunRising » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:15 am

For me , the question is : what happens when you can't get it ?

I'm an ice cream kind of girl . It cheers me up , makes me happy and I look forward to it at the end of a long or bad day . But if there's no ice cream in the fridge , I don't feel any worse or deprived or moved to run out and get.some.right.now . I don't sit around wishing I had some or getting upset because I don't .

There are certainly people who have never experienced addiction that seem to be fond of using that word to label other's behavior or habits . Kind of judgmental ( and ignorant ) if you ask me .

If you have an addiction , I think you know it . Even in my deepest denial , I knew in my gut I was addicted to gambling . I just chose to ignore that and give myself a lot of reasons why I was wasn't .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Addicted to alcohol?

Postby Wally58 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:51 pm

My symptoms were that when I drank, I could not predict or control the outcome of the drinking event.
That is a good definition of an alcoholic, but not the only definition. No one else can really call you an alcoholic, except you. I didn't seek help until when I was good and ready.
I really didn't want alcohol to be the problem as it seemed to be the only thing working in my life and it was my best friend. Maybe now looking back, it was never my friend.
My alcoholism was less dependent on how often or how much I drank, but more with what happened when I drank.
There were stories in AA from a person who only drank once a year on New Year's eve, but when they did, it ended like a train wreck. Usually with an arrest and the scorn of friends and family. Oh my family still loved me, they just couldn't have me around them anymore. Friends stopped inviting me to parties, so I got comfortable with drinking alone.
I was a blackout drinker. While it bothered me to wake up with no memory of how I got in bed, it didn't stop me from continuing drinking that day.
Something happening like that would terrify me today. I had to get very honest about me.
Best of luck to you and your decisions. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post