Our partner

State of Emergency

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

State of Emergency

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 am

Addiction is a funny thing. One moment you feel that you have got it under control and suddenly one day it comes back. Just for today is all you have.

I've got to just get through today, that's all I can concern myself with right now. Calls from my sponsor on the hour. If I can get through today...
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)

But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: State of Emergency

Postby Wally58 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Just for today or One day at a time is all that any one of us has. Addiction will always be lurking out there somewhere, patient and waiting.
The tools of Recovery are what we learn to keep addiction at bay.
I am an alcoholic and that disease will never go away. I keep my 24 hour coin in my pocket and squeeze it tight when I feel in danger.
I can seek out another addict or alcoholic if my sponsor is unavailable. I get myself to a meeting for a cup of coffee. I find a distraction when my thinking turns to bad thoughts.
Hugs if wanted. I know what it is like.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks Wally x

The day has gotten progressively better as it has gone on and in a moment of strange synchronicity the meeting I went to earlier was a topic meeting on relapsing.

I relapsed on my ED and everything crumbled a bit but I'll get everything back on track.

I am used to handling everything on my own and I am not used to reaching out for help but I have improved so much in that aspect and I am getting to know my relapse triggers better.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)

But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Wally58 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 pm

No matter how hard I tried, sobriety was the one thing that I just could not do by myself. I wanted so badly to do this on my own, but I could not. At the time, I felt that it was no one else's business but my own. My addiction was my own personal problem and I would take care of it, thankyouverymuch. That type of thinking almost did me in.
It is a 'We' program. WE admitted that WE were powerless. WE came to believe that a power greater than OURSELVES could restore US to sanity.
Asking for help is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness. Many addicts and alcoholics are not able to ask for for help because of things like shame or ego. Many die because they are simply unable or unwilling to ask for help.
In recovery, I ask for help to start my day. I offer help when asked in order to keep myself sober. This whole AA business started with one drunk helping another. Bill W. and Dr. Bob S. found out that this kept them sober.
This is something that you have to share in order to keep it.
I'm glad that your day is getting better as it goes. I learn a little more about myself each day. :D
Wally58

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum