Our partner

What is the waiting list generally like for detox?

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

What is the waiting list generally like for detox?

Postby Aiodbne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:50 am

I need help with my pot addiction. I have tried to withdrawal at home multiple times with no luck. Before I go and see a cousnellour to see if they can get me into detox I guess I just wanted to know approximately how long I’ll have to wait because if I have to see a counsellor for 6 months before I get in I don’t really think it’s woryh it
Aiodbne
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What is the waiting list generally like for detox?

Postby Wally58 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

I wasn't able to stop on my own, let alone control any aspect of my own addiction. I always went back to my old ways which is the natural, chronic progression of the disease of addiction.
Have you ever sought therapy or counseling before for this? Depending on the treatment plan that is discussed with you, detox may or may not be suggested as a first try. You can request it. Then decide what insurance will cover it.
A case has to made for your admission into detox and/or inpatient treatment. It can be like jumping through hoops at times and can be frustrating.
The insurance may initially deny an admission and the counselor will have to re-apply for you. They know some tricks and which insurance may be easier to apply for and get through than others.
Waiting times vary. A bed may be available right away. Be prepared for immediate admission. Any hesitation and the bed won't wait for you. They have to see a strong interest and commitment on your part for recovery or they may not go to bat for you.
Less expensive outpatient or group therapy may be suggested first. No insurance is necessary for NA (narcotics anonymous) and it is free.
A DID diagnosis may get you a 'dual diagnosis' label. I was a dual-diagnosis patient. It was very frightening as they were telling me that my chances at recovery was less-than-average. I did make it however. It is one day at a time. I had to be drug/alcohol-free before any other psych treatment would work.
Listen to their suggestions. Consider your best treatment plan option and follow through with it.
Recovery is always worthwhile. Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:13 am

Re: What is the waiting list generally like for detox?

Postby BadMadMama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:11 pm

So here's the thing- first off I'm damned glad I don't live in your bloody country because health care here is free and detox usual takes anywhere from 4wks to 3 months, depending on bed space. It's usually closer to the 4 wks though. That said, I've always been curious as to why a cannabis addict would require medical detox. Social detox maybe but medical ? Is that what you're referring too ? I'm a recovering narcotics, meth addict, alcoholic AND during my sobriety gained qualifications in addictions counselling then went on to work at a treatment centre for the next 6 yrs. During all my years, personally and professionally I only ever saw 1 person who ever required medical intervention for cannabis withdrawal. Having personally experienced heroin and alcohol withdrawal I can attest to the need for medical assistance to cope with the physical withdrawals as they are excruciating and in the case of alcohol can be life threatening but cannabis withdrawal symptoms are not reputed to be so debilitating as to require medical intervention apart from perhaps cases reporting acute bouts of anxiety. I'm prepared to stand corrected if there's evidence and research to suggest otherwise so please don't take my comments as a refute of your claims. I'm merely commenting from my own knowledge and experience, each of us is exempt from knowing all and life continues to be a daily learning experience. At the end of the day my hope is that through whatever means you find works for you, you can gain control of your addiction and find a meaningful life in recovery. Cheers
BadMadMama
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:13 am

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum