Our partner

Ongoing issues with alcohol

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Ongoing issues with alcohol

Postby anon812 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help. A relative of mine has alcohol problems. The ongoing problems has led to liver problems. Over the past 6 months, they have been admitted to hospital around 4 times (with stomach problems etc).

They are not actively seeking help and when we speak to them, they are oblivious to what we are saying and seem to have a blank expression on their face (as though they are looking at us, but their thoughts are elsewhere).

The person in question has been extremely close and has a relationship with someone that is married (and has kids). They also purchased a property not too far from where the married person lives claiming they 'like that place' (even though there is nothing special to like there).

They do not seem to be listening to anyones suggestions / advise and I was wondering what we could do to assist.

Since being close to the married person and the alcohol problem has started, they have become extremely stubborn, lies are second nature to them and their emotions are all over the place (often crying without any reason).

The doctor has previously advised that counselling sessions would be useful, to which they attended one session and claimed that they do not have an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do to assist?

Thank you in advance
anon812
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ongoing issues with alcohol

Postby Wally58 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:05 pm

Once organ failure sets in like digestive system, liver, kidney or pancreas, etc this is considered late-stage alcoholism. Some get wet-brain, where they lose cognitive ability and function.
Unless the alcoholics themselves try to turn around the progression of the disease, there is little you can do except support them in whatever decision toward recovery that they may make. Sooner rather than later.
I have called my sister in when I believed that she was a danger to herself or was unconscious and breathing sporadically.
I have talked to her as have the doctors to no avail (so far). As soon as she is allowed to check herself out of the hospital, she gets a cab and goes right back to where she left off. She isn't ready and may never be ready. Sometimes an epiphany occurs, sometimes not.
Denial (of the problem) is the alcoholic defense of their disease. It is the bottle talking.
Best of luck to you all. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 am

Postby BadShrimp » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:19 pm

The best thing you can do for a person who is unwilling to change is tell them you care about them. The rest is up to them.
BadShrimp
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby user76290 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 am

like the other posters have said you can't do $#%^. Anybody that uses drugs or alcohol that's their choice. They don't want to quit they can use them till the day they die.
user76290
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:20 am

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post