Our partner

Cannabis Addiction

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Cannabis Addiction

Postby SunshineSam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 am

Hi,
I suffer from Bipolar disorder, but have had previous diagnoses of Adhd, Anxiety, Depression. I have smoked Cannabis for the past 6 years roughly everyday. Cannabis for me is an all rounder because it helps my depressed mood, sleep, appetite, anxiety, bordom and gives me musical inspiration when I am working on new material. I would describe myself as a high-strung, excitable and on edge, constantly. For the most part it settles my inner restlessness.

I admit that Weed has some negative effects on me. It makes me extremely lazy at the best of times, It makes me withdrawn and isolated from the outside world, My attention and memory are poor already but they get worse on weed, and the reactions I have when I stop smoking it scare me.
Chest pains, Anxiety & Panic, a never ending feeling of adrenaline, Nausea in my stomach, zero motivation to do anything, Insomnia, moodiness, sweatiness, IBS, Agoraphobia, drastic decision making

When I go into work, (which is one the main areas affected) if I haven't smoked, my uniform is drenched-i mean drenched in sweat. my face starts sweating, I become completely internal and self conscious, and feel like I cannot escape the situation. I cannot project my thoughts outward and focus on my job because i am too internally focused. I literally look awkward and robotic because im watching my own moves. I get constant bowel movements, and diarrhea and need to run to the toilet constantly. My attention span and confidence at taking on any new task are $#%^. I feel sick, and class the shift as "the worst shift of my life". Now this experience is so frightening for me that I have only ever experienced it maybe 10 times in 6 years.

I consider Cannabis as a medication and go to my job and do my job while stoned. It actually keeps a lid on my box of mental horrors, but obviously at a cost. It seems like the only option. even as I write this I'm asking myself, what help am I looking for exactly? because it seems like I am okay choosing this coping method for the rest of my life.

I know that most people view Cannabis as relatively mild drug to quit, and I take my hat off to people who have done it "easily" as they say, but for me personally I find quitting it very difficult. I am for the legaziation of Cannabis and feel that it has medicinal values. I am loathed to think that I have to scuffle round buying my medicine (basically) illegally, and hide in the shadows smoking it.

I am going to work 2morro and I know I will have run dry, and have to experience the nastiness again. I don't want to tell my doctor about the extent of my Cannabis use because he will disapprove, question the medications im taking and wether there are interactions, see me as an abuse patient, and I doubt he will offer me any kind of Benzos etc to deal with the withdrawals If I stop smoking. Until I get a very good clear reason as to why I should stop smoking (because I personally love it) I cannot see me stopping. as a musician and young person it's part of my culture and I really do love the plant and hate justifying enjoying it.

I think reduction is the thing I should be looking into. try and only smoke half the week, or once in the morning, once mid day and once at night.

Can anyone give me any success stories of how they either cut down, safely continued smoking & keeping their lives together, or went off it completely and delt with the negative effects?
SunshineSam
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Cannabis Addiction

Postby NewSunRising » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Welcome SunshineSam ,

I'm sorry you have to deal with all that stuff . If you can't ( or won't ) confide in your MD , then you are leaving yourself few to no options of finding alternatives for relief .

I would be a bit surprised by a Dr. these days who voiced disapproval over marijuana for medicinal use , although I'm sure they're out there .

Cutting down sounds like a good plan if you feel that you are using it too much . Depending on the laws where you are , you are putting yourself at risk every time you buy it . That's something to consider. Getting busted for possession could do a lot of damage .

There is also the risk at your job - if you were to become injured ( or worse - injure someone else )and were subsequently drug-tested , it would be a disaster .

I wish you luck - cannabis isn't the only substance that functions as a sedative . I think after you start tapering off it would be a good idea to ask your Dr. , or even an herbalist / homeopathic practitioner , about possible alternatives .
NewSunRising
Moderator: Consumer

Postby gately » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Self-medicating for bipolar and anxiety with a psychotropic substance, not communicating to your GP the level of your consumption, and thinking you'll be able to reduce a serious dependancy to something manageable?

*mod edit*
gately
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Postby realityhere » Sat May 13, 2017 12:21 am

If you're taking other medications for your bi-polar and ADHD issues, it could be that these Rx's are interacting with your daily cannabis use, producing adverse effects on your body. I've read that you also have ADHD in the developmental disorders forum and that you are attempting to get back on Ritalin, which you abused in the past, with a different doctor. Ritalin is a stimulant; otoh cannabis is a sedative. Opposites that can wreak havoc on bipolar, if not carefully monitored. Indica and sativa cannabis produce different effects as well.

I agree with NewSunRising that you're leaving few to no options for relief, if you can't come clean about your drug abuses of the past and the cannabis usage with your current doctor. If your doctor doesn't know the other things you're using for symptom relief, and he prescribes a drug that can have adverse reactions with cannabis use, it can create a dangerous combo for your body.

Have you considered seeking help from a therapist as well? Anxiety issues are common with those who have ADHD.
AWAY from mod duties, please contact another moderator.
realityhere

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:35 am

Postby SunshineSam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 pm

gately wrote:Self-medicating for bipolar and anxiety with a psychotropic substance, not communicating to your GP the level of your consumption, and thinking you'll be able to reduce a serious dependancy to something manageable?

Makes heaps of sense.

Well I'm still young and new at this 'try and keep a lid on ur condition that could drive you to jump in front of a bus most days' gig. I still tell her I am smoking it but I reduce the amount i say I am smoking by roughly 1/2 than what it is because I think that doctors, the law and the government exaggerate cannabis's risk factor, they have to anyway it is their jobs, but without going on a rant cannabis would put a lot of pharma companies out of business being the multi functional herbal wonder that it is. Doctors may see it as either a brilliant essential or a pesky dangerous substance, but at least it wont kill me. I keep reading back over this and thinking I sound like a stubborn teenager. I do have a serious depandancy, and i do need help, but I feel that if I fully disclose to her how much i've been smoking she will reduce or take me off my meds, (even though i don't think there are any actual like interactions in the brain with my meds and cannabis in terms of like targeted receptors etc). The meds on their own don't work, and I literally would need to shut down, lock myself away, leave my job or the country if I was to stop completley and endure the withdrawal syndrome/ "my underlying mental state" . i know that if I walk out of my house for more than a couple of days clean, I will have a manic breakdown, a depressive breakdown or something drastic will happen. I know this because I feel like a ticking time bomb is building but cannabis actually is keeping it at bay. So really until I have a soft mat to land on below, I can't risk taking the fall.
SunshineSam
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby SunshineSam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 pm

realityhere wrote:If you're taking other medications for your bi-polar and ADHD issues, it could be that these Rx's are interacting with your daily cannabis use, producing adverse effects on your body. I've read that you also have ADHD in the developmental disorders forum and that you are attempting to get back on Ritalin, which you abused in the past, with a different doctor. Ritalin is a stimulant; otoh cannabis is a sedative. Opposites that can wreak havoc on bipolar, if not carefully monitored. Indica and sativa cannabis produce different effects as well.

I agree with NewSunRising that you're leaving few to no options for relief, if you can't come clean about your drug abuses of the past and the cannabis usage with your current doctor. If your doctor doesn't know the other things you're using for symptom relief, and he prescribes a drug that can have adverse reactions with cannabis use, it can create a dangerous combo for your body.

Have you considered seeking help from a therapist as well? Anxiety issues are common with those who have ADHD.

I've been placed on Ritalin before with depressants etc, I really do want to at least reduce my cannabis smoking by roughly 50%. I am completely happy taking the risk with weed occasionally or now and again through life basis and it's effects on bipolar but I think the every day use is destroying me. I just can't get my head around the idea of how different (and $#%^) life feels without it, and it's just completely different, and every second is long. I am on a list to see a CBT therapist, my doc acc caught me out trying to lie about my cannabis smoking, and she recommended i go see a therapist. I know my own body better than a doctor and I'm telling you I do better and am more productive on a stimulant, and get a better quality of life. I also get a better quality of life when I have weed. every moment or experience is a joy and I actually am doing more than when I don't have it, where I lie in bed and glue myself to a screen and don't even get up.
SunshineSam
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby UpDownAround » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 am

A really odd thing about my past experience with pot (I think you know it from another thread, but for other readers - I have not smoked in over 25 years but would love a chance to get high safely) is that as my use tapered off, most of the time I got high was when I was doing something active - skiing, hiking, kayaking, rafting, etc. I was a raft guide for a couple of summers; if the guides wander off during lunch... Anyway, I never really had the total loss of motivation "bump on a log" effect that so many people talk about. Most of my experiences with drugs were positive. Even when I did property crimes and vandalism, it wasn't really drug fueled; I was that way before drugs. I hate it when people ask if I will talk with their kids because they know my past. I just manage to exert enough control to keep from doing stuff because I am afraid of losing my job, home and family. I control my monster with a bigger monster - fear of being exposed and losing everything. And yeah, adderall is legal...
Up and down
And in the end it's only round and round

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

bipolar II, hyperacusis, substance use disorder
lamictal, straterra, saphris
UpDownAround
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:35 am

Postby z7z » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:39 am

Bipolar and Marijuana don't mix well from what I've heard. It can cause mania or depression. I would try to get your meds working correctly. The marijuana is probably interfering with how effective they are. I had to give up pot and I have Bipolar. I take klonopin for anxiety. It acts like long lasting alcohol.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:35 am

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post