Our partner

I lost so many friends to drinking

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

I lost so many friends to drinking

Postby maskedsanity » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 am

But I cannot stop drinking. I was sober for 5 years. And I don't know what drove me to drink again. I was not this heavy of a drinker 5 years ago. But I am lying to my family and friends about it. It has causes so many issues with relationships but I cannot stop. This time around it has a strong hold on me. Before I had more control over it. Now it is like I cannot even go a week or so barely. I am about to lose another really good friend. I don't know what to. Yes I know I should stop drinking I did before for 5 years mind you I didn't do it a few times a week and I was not such a heavy drinker. I did it cold turkey. I quit smoking for 2 years. I don't think I can quit cold turkey again.
maskedsanity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I lost so many friends to drinking

Postby NewSunRising » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:43 pm

Welcome MaskedSanity ,

I'm sorry that you are struggling with this . Have you ever gone to AA ?

5 years of sobriety is a remarkable achievement . Do you remember what made you decide to stop drinking at that time ?

Addictions have a very sneaky way of convincing us that we're "cured" after a period of sobriety . My addicted brain told me " Hey ! You must not be an addict because addicts can't stop and you did . So you can go back to ( gambling , in my case ) and if it becomes a problem , then you can just stop like you did before ."

The problem is when it becomes a problem again . It's not just a little " Uh oh , I might be doing this a little too much again ." It's a rapid spiral out of control straight into a deeper pit than the one we just climbed out of .

It's hard but you have the strength to return to sobriety . Please reach out for the support you need . You can do this !
NewSunRising
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post