Our partner

Boyfriend quit meth and is scaring me

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Boyfriend quit meth and is scaring me

Postby Jessa0000 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:33 pm

I am 26 years old and have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, but I have known him for 13 years. In january of this year he told me he had been doing meth for 5 months and he was ready to seek professional help. He went in a facility for a week and came out prescribed and antidepressant. He was doing much better. He was actively seeking employment, he was motivated again, he slept normal, ate normal... it was great. Then around the beginning of march he had run out of his antidepressant and he never refilled it. A couple weeks into the month of march he quit the job he had acquired and told me that he was tired of working there and trying to be this perfect person in society that everyone was pushing him to be, so he said he was starting to refinish furniture for a living. He then quickly acquired lots of furniture projects in my basement and he CONSTANTLY worked on them from sunup to sundown. I tried to be supportive, but he was not finishing ANY of his projects and he was not making any money. Also in our relationship I felt like he was becoming very distant and he started to not make any sense occasionally in conversation. One night I got on top of him to love on him and have sex with him and in the middle of us kissing he turned his head away and didnt say anything. I said HELLO whats wrong, he didnt answer so I rolled off of him and said HELLO. He looked at me and said are there cameras in here or something??? I said why would there be cameras? He said maybe someone is afraid for your safety.... This is NOT normal for him. So about a week after that we were about to leave to go to Orlando for a family wedding. He asked if we could leave Friday instead of Thursday because he had to finish some furniture and get paid for it. Ok fine we can leave Friday. Thursday I was gone all day getting things in order for us to be able to leave at 5am. I came home to find him digging MULTIPLE holes in the backyard and thats is all he had done all day. I asked him why he was doing that he replied and I quote "well hannah had these sticks the other day and they reminded me of some things I saw in my text messages about some routes". Yeh there is not a typo in there that is what he said. I had to go to florida without him. 8 hrs by my self. Then the day I came back my dad said he came home and found him inside a 5ft deep hole that he was digging. My dad asked him why he was digging that hole and he said he was digging for his freedom. I told him I needed some space and he said he would stay at his moms (because we live together). When he was leaving he said he was not going to his moms that he was going to the woods to spend the night in this national forest park we go to sometimes. I said fine and let him go. The next morning his friend calls me saying how he saw him at that park last night completely naked and soaking wet. He said he had jumped in the creek to swim (its not that warm outside). Then he said he was hooting and hollering and not making much sense. When I asked him about it he said he was dealing with his demons and that hes not on drugs. He said he feels crazy and he wishes he was on a drug to blame this on. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS HAPPENING!!??? because I am so confused and scared. I have never done meth or been on an antidepressant, so I dont know what coming off of both would do to someone. Is it because he used meth and this is the result?
Jessa0000
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Boyfriend quit meth and is scaring me

Postby tallis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I know this post is a little old, and don't know if you will be back....
But it sounds to me like Meth psychosis.
My stepson had a meth problem. He stopped smoking it but was in a vehicle with someone who was smoking it. It threw him into full blown psychosis. We brought him to the hospital and had him drug tested and he had NOT smoked recently. Hard to get your head around that one when you have an addict in your life.
If the meth has made him psychotic, there is A HUGE chance that if he uses again or is around it, it can throw him back in psychosis. 20% of meth users will get psychotic.
(We also had to deal with stepson being found naked...meth seems to make them overheat when psychotic)
cameras? Yep, mine thought we'd rigged the smoke alarms to spy on him.
Be careful because meth generally causes hypersexuality, (when not psychotic) if your bf was a user of meth, he may have had sex with some sketchy other users. (and they are generally not careful, so you may want to think about getting tested.)
psychosis from meth use can come and go up to 18 MONTHS AFTER THE LAST USE.
scary, scary stuff.
I don't believe that withdrawl from anti depressants would bring on psychosis, but check with a dr. And from what you said, it DEFINITELY sounds like psychosis. No way to tell how long it will last. last episode with stepson lasted a few days. A dr. might give him an anti psychotic if you can get him there. Stepson still refuses to believe he was ever psychotic. so its hard.
I have dealt with/tried to help two different people that were in psychosis, both began to suspect I was against them. Neither case lasted, both are fine now, but paranoia easily turns to them believing they are fighting for their life and that you might be one of the ones against them. I'd try to get him to a dr. and on an antipsychotic for a short term if possible.
Did you realize he was using before he told you? Could he be slipping here and there? stepson generally would not admit to a relapse unless he had no way out.
Good luck. Its awful and scary when you are dealing with it. Hopefully it will be gone soon. Stay safe.
tallis
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Aphoticdream » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 am

He quit the job because he relapsed... the collection of furniture is because hes tweaking and thinks he's too magical to work a normal job and everyone wants his amazing craftsmanship for top dollar... i have a brother who did and does this EXACT same thing. He's high and lying, period. Meth is nearly impossible to quit as it causes permanent anhedonia.. I would give up really quickly or enjoy the never ending hell ride- eventually he will be stealing from you (my own brother stole from my family and me) I know meth addiction and cant spot it a mile away.. (not a meth addict myself but i use other things) Old post i know but i hate seeing people suffer needlessly by others selfish addictions and lies. Some are masochistic though and enjoy the rescue fantasies. Meth psychosis is from being up too long on....meth... its not VERY common while using unless going on LONG benders for days on end. If you do just enough and are a "pro addict" most cant even detect these people... until their stuff is missing and the person looks 20 years older within 1-3 years. Sorry if i sound bitter- its more anger and sadness at what a vile drug this is and what it does to people and how they delusionally tell you "all is well" and "what do you mean??" "i dont live like THOSE people out there! they are the lost ones !" (meth talk) as they sit living in their broke down vehicle on the side of the road.
Aphoticdream
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Postby Coexisting » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 pm

I am having some of the same issues. My BF is a raving lunatic right now. He was in jail for almost 2 years ....clean. Came out and relapsed. He has now gone mad. I guess it is meth psychosis....which I've never heard of. If anyone can tell me more I would appreciate it.
Coexisting
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby mm1001 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Meth psychosis is horrible. I've only smoked meth a handful of times but it's put me in hospital twice because I was terrified people were out to get me. I ran into a random old ladies house and was hiding in there until ambos were called. I also used to be a daily pot smoker as well but I can't even touch that now. It's like meth triggered something and I get very paranoid and suspicious of people. That's really good that he's quit though you just need to support him and realise the psychotic symptoms will stick around for a while. It still effects me and it's been a year. Much better than I was though as far as psychosis. I take anti psychotics if it ever gets too bad.
mm1001
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Postby Coexisting » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 am

I really wish he realised that these are delusions but he does not. He will not go to mental health. He walked off his job because he thought he got fired but in reality he didn't. He is having bad delusions. He thought I was a teacher and then thought I was his Mom. He drove the car til it ran out of gas and left it on the side of the road and it got towed. He walked for 7 miles and was headed to turn his self in for warrants he thinks he has....there are no warrants. The list goes on.....
Coexisting
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby z7z » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am

It's very similar to Bipolar/Schizophrenia and their manic/psychotic behavior. I would imagine the same medications would help him think normally and relax. Bipolar and schizophrenics usually take:
Antipsychotic: Seroquel, Invega, Abilify, Latuda
Mood Stabilizer: Lithium, Lamictal, Depakote
Anti Anxiety (Benzodiazepene): Valium, Klonopin, Ativan
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post