Our partner

Addiction warning signs? Painkillers

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Re: Addiction warning signs? Painkillers

Postby UpDownAround » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I have constant low back pain; spinal stenosis, a couple of herniated discs and degenerative arthritis all confirmed in a lumbar MRI (most low back pain is not diagnosed). I never treat that pain with drugs, other than whatever they mix with the steroid when the do the shots (the long needle they guide in with the fluoroscope at 4 places) which I have had twice. My dad also has low back pain and he has been strung out on opioids for years.

But this is no high and mighty post; I did ask for them for chronic shoulder and knee pain mostly because I like the way they make me feel. As you might guess from the low back story, I am a stoic. I have read a lot about that, BTW. We (stoics) aren't tougher than most people or have some Zen like control over pain. We're just lucky - or not; I have burned my fingers carrying hot serving dishes that I should have put down sooner or not picked up at all. I felt pain, just not that much. Anyway, I would take the course of pain killers and then cold turkey and wait a while before asking again. They look at X rays and MRIs of shoulders and knees (I have had surgeries, which is why they have good images) and think it must really hurt. Before a shoulder surgery I cam in with a 60% tear in one muscle and an 80% tear in another complaining that paddling my kayak was painful, Being stoic is not always a good thing; I am lucky I didn't rip them all the way. I did not feel the way you talk about in the initial post. I liked the feeling, but I did not have a hard time concentrating on other things. Also, i never bought them in the street, just lied to get them prescribed.

Tussenex is another matter. That is the yummy hydrocodone cough syrup that I would get because the hacking cough I got from allergy sinus drip was too much for OTC cough medicine :roll: . On the last dose, I turned the bottle upside down and left it for a few minutes to get every drop. Man, that stuff is good. Right after a bottle was gone, if I knew my neighbor had some and wasn't home, I might have broken into his house. But within a day or two that subsided. That is really scary once you step back and look at it clearly, which I strongly suggest you do. i like how it made me feel, but not enough to give up my will power to it.
Up and down
And in the end it's only round and round

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

bipolar II, hyperacusis, substance use disorder
lamictal, straterra, saphris
UpDownAround
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Previous