Our partner

Benzo/Seroquel abuse

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: NewSunRising, Wally58

Benzo/Seroquel abuse

Postby AFrustratingMess » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:27 am

I'm worried that I might be abusing drugs (which have been prescribed to me for quite legitimate reasons) in order to cope. I'm autistic, bipolar and agoraphobic, so loud noise, rowdiness, yelling and screaming, revving motorbikes and such drive me right to the edge of what's known in autism as a "meltdown" which can potentially get violent, which I really do not want. Methods from therapy help to a point, but only in the less severe problems.

Beyond that, I resort to drugs.

After experiencing a very stressful event, I take, for example, 10 mg of Xanax, 100 mg of Seroquel, and 50 mg of Valium. If that doesn't work, I take an extra 200 mg of seroquel, and maybe 5 mg of Xanax - where I live, Xanax is legally in the same class as cocaine and morphine, so it's difficult to get a prescription, but I do have a genuine, legitimate use for it, as I have panic disorder, and as anyone with panic disorder can attest, valium doesn't cut it in a panic attack.

Am I abusing? Am I addicted? I don't feel cravings to do it again, I only use it depending on the situation. What can do about it?
AFrustratingMess
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Benzo/Seroquel abuse

Postby Contro » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 am

AFrustratingMess wrote:Am I abusing? Am I addicted?

Yes and yes.

What can do about it?

You can go to rehab.
Contro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Postby Oliveira » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 am

I'm not going to delete the post above, but we do not diagnose on this forum.

AFM, what I would suggest you do is discuss the pattern of your usage with the doctor who has prescribed the medication to you. In a way it doesn't matter whether you consciously identify cravings, as your body might be "creating" the panic attacks for you thus "forcing" you to use. But I do not know that. I think your doctor would be the best person to discuss this with.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Postby AFrustratingMess » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks Oliveira. Just to clarify, I'm not physically dependent on Xanax, I don't feel any physical withdrawal symptoms when I don't take it (and I know from experience with Valium addiction what benzo withdrawal is like) nor am I physically dependent on the other medications. It's psychological, as far as I can tell.
AFrustratingMess
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 am

Postby atina » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Dear Afrustratingmess:

I hope you do see a responsible MD who will help you reduce or decide on certain rules regarding what psychiatric drugs to use, when, how much, so have a co-plan of use with a ... responsible, caring professional.

There are methods to reduce anxiety other than psychiatric drugs. I wouldn't give up on those, if I was you, use them in combination with psychiatric drugs. So that you have a long (no matter how long it may be) term plan to manage anxiety without drugs.

Take care of yourself:
anita
atina
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm

Postby Sall » Mon May 08, 2017 1:44 pm

I know that it is old thread, but maybe someone will be still interested in this topic...
Quitting quetiapine may be very dangerous and you should do it with caucious and with the help of MD.
If you seek help on the forum, it might be a sign that you know something is not ok.
I know it might be silly but I've heard that yoga could help with recovery. I am sure, that if you visit your doctor (or any other doctor that you'd like) they would help you quit the habit. But you wouldn't believe how seeing other people on daily basis and doing some meditation could change your life. Yoga is constructed to make your body more relaxed, and probably your body will crave some peace since you won't take so many drugs then.
Stay safe!
Sall
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post