Our partner

I did it, I stopped stuttering

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

I did it, I stopped stuttering

Postby JasLom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 am

It's great to see people sharing their experiences regarding stuttering. I made a promise a long time ago to share my knowledge about overcoming stuttering. So this is me realising that promise: 'Stop Stuttering' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlz6eqLkjA

There is a lot of information (good bad and ugly) out there and I have researched numerous techniques and approaches over the years. I decided to consolidate these approaches into one holistic approach and describe techniques i use. Everyone is different but i share what has worked for me and hopefully it will work for you or set you on the right path.

All the best
Jason
ps. it's a long video clip but that's the culmination of 30 years of trying to overcome stuttering.
JasLom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I did it, I stopped stuttering

Postby JasLom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:21 am

I created a "Cheat sheet" for those who are interested.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=48A1A212CFE29CBC&id=48A1A212CFE29CBC%21109
JasLom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 10:30 am

Postby greatar4 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your journey, but the video is no longer available. Why have you removed it?

I'd like to know what you've tried to overcome that annoying thing.
greatar4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 am

Postby davidalexander » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 am

I went from a severe stutter in youth to a high level of fluency at present. I can't speak for everyone (as it were), but I'd like to briefly recap how I did it.

I stuttered under periods of high stress. This stress was brought on by the requirement of saying a specific troublesome sound in a very short time. In my case, I have trouble with words that begin with an 'ill' sound. The prototypical example of a difficult situation for me would be a joke for which the punchline is the word "illumination!". A difficult sound, precise timing, and the certainty of failure and embarrassment if either was flubbed.

My mental process was like so: as I would approach the difficult word or sound, my stress level would increase. It would peak just before the sound. I would then flub the sound, fulfilling the prophecy that led to the stress. I would continue trying it. My posture would slump. I would stop looking at the person I was speaking to. A cloud of embarrassment would slowly cover me. I would reach rock-bottom and simply stop trying to say the word.

And then I could say it. Once I'd failed, once my message was completely consumed by my fumbling efforts to present it, the pressure was gone. The worst had happened, there was nowhere left to fall. So I had no more stress. I could speak again.

The trick to becoming fluent, insofar as there is one, was to duplicate that relaxation, without actually breaking down. I did this by simply stopping as I approached the offending word. Often, I would practice this alone. I would sit and wait until I had calmed down enough to say it. Sometimes this took twenty seconds. It didn't matter, however long; I would calm myself with the realization that whatever I was saying wasn't that important. People don't care that much how it comes it. And that I was good enough to say it and there was no point dwelling unduly on presentation.

As I became more effective at this relaxation technique, I began shortening the rest periods. 15 seconds. 10 seconds. 5 seconds. Eventually it became a momentary pause. Still disfluent, but only a pause. As I became fluent, I found that the stress peaks started to get lower, so I'd have less relaxation to do. The principle is much the same as giving someone subject to sudden anxiety a Xanax or the like. Sometimes merely knowing that you can control a panic attack if it comes on is enough to prevent it in the first place.

Eventually I was able to relax myself even while speaking the words leading to the troublesome one. The pause disappeared and I was able to simply say what I wanted to. Perhaps subtly more monotone than I might have liked, but still fluent. I still use other tricks. Lead-in words or sounds that let me get past a difficult word. Methodically controlling the pace of interaction so I'm not forced to speak more rapidly than I'd like. Rehearsing, so my mouth won't get ahead of my brain. I still rehearse every phone call and message I'm required to leave on an answering machine.

And then I joined Toastmasters. Crafting and reciting speeches in that high-stress environment has made every other social interaction less stressful by comparison. My fluency has risen across the board. No one who meets me anew today would know that I once stuttered, and certainly not severely.
davidalexander
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby vanizorc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm

While I'm happy for you and your situation, be aware that for the vast majority of stutterers out there, trying to "overcome" their speech disorder is not an option if the cause of their stuttering is neuro-biological in origin (and not psychological/sociological like those who claim to have "defeated" their stuttering). For instance, I myself have a moderate/severe stutter, and no matter how many speech therapists I went to, or breathing techniques I tried, my stuttering never diminished a single bit, let alone disappear entirely.

I just hope your post doesn't imply to others out there (stutterer or non-stutterer alike) that stuttering is something that can be "overcome" if the person just "tried hard enough". For others to draw this kind of conclusion would be analogous to thinking that the blind can regain their vision if only they tried "hard enough" -- it's obviously silly and wrong. And there are already too many misconceptions and prejudices out there regarding stuttering -- we don't need anymore.

Your case is atypical, because in general stuttering (especially in those with the genetic predisposition for it) cannot be overcome.
vanizorc
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Postby peaklite » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:48 pm

My stuttering has nearly stopped now, just randomly..
Figuring out what's wrong with me
peaklite
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (184)

Postby Someone23 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:14 am

peaklite wrote:My stuttering has nearly stopped now, just randomly..

Switching between stuttering and more fluently speaking somewhat randomly is a common symptom of schizoid personality disorder. I personally speak both with and without stuttering, depending on the situation.
Someone23
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Postby Someone23 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 am

Someone23 wrote:
peaklite wrote:My stuttering has nearly stopped now, just randomly..

Switching between stuttering and more fluently speaking somewhat randomly is a common symptom of schizoid personality disorder. I personally speak both with and without stuttering, depending on the situation.

I forgot to mention that I'm saying this because I believe you mentioned you have SPD in that forum.
Someone23
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Postby MrDave » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Video link doesnt work anymore !
MrDave
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 1:30 am

Postby davidalexander » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 am

vanizorc wrote:I just hope your post doesn't imply to others out there (stutterer or non-stutterer alike) that stuttering is something that can be "overcome" if the person just "tried hard enough". For others to draw this kind of conclusion would be analogous to thinking that the blind can regain their vision if only they tried "hard enough" -- it's obviously silly and wrong. And there are already too many misconceptions and prejudices out there regarding stuttering -- we don't need anymore.

As you point out, there's more than one reason for a person to stutter. People like me may well be able to do what I did. Others won't. It's not a misconception or a prejudice; I gave a specific technique in the hopes that it would help others. If it doesn't help you, more's the pity for you.
davidalexander
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post