Our partner

Here is some tips that may help stutterer.

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Here is some tips that may help stutterer.

Postby greatar4 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 am

While searching all over the internet I stumbled upon this post. It is a techniques someone has invented to deal with his/her speech disorder. Base on how successful the approach was He decided to share with everyone. Click here to read it.
greatar4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Here is some tips that may help stutterer.

Postby atchley » Sat May 30, 2015 11:37 pm

Dear greatar 4,

Thanks for sharing this information and the link. I am a certified and licensed speech-language pathologist, who specializes in helping people who stutter. The cause of child-onset stuttering is not known at the time of my post, but I believe stuttering is caused by being born with in-coordinated muscles for speaking/breathing, which was no fault of the biological parents. I also believe emotions do not cause stuttering, but instead make it worse.

There are two widely accepted approaches to stuttering therapy in the world. One is called Speak More Fluently. Simply stated, this method teaches individuals how to speak differently. The approach you incorporated allowed you to significantly reduce or eliminate emotions by practicing alone. The approach used, as you pointed out, also allowed you to focus on your "new way of speaking" with clinched jaw instead of focusing on the emotion or stuttering that you could not control. Importantly, I think you and I would agree that your consistent practice and effort was one of the influential factors that led to your improved speech fluency.

The remarkable part of your story is how you were able to transfer your fluency skills outside of isolation into the real world. Developing fluency for many people is the easy part. Transferring the fluency outside of their home or the therapy room usually proves to be the bigger challenge. This transfer process is my specialty as a speech-language pathologist, but I am wondering if you would post again to provide your insights on how you successfully transferred your fluent speech.

Thanks again,

John
John Atchley, MA, CCC-SLP
Certified and Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist
http://StutteringPros.com
atchley
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 am

Postby Jargo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:17 pm

I've got a theory on speech problems from tourettes to stuttering. My guess is that many folk with speech problems will have some form of bowel disorder/disease. The colon meridian runs up both arms and passes by either side of the voice box on it's way up to the mouth which it passes around both sides of and meets underneath the nose. It then proceeds up either side of the nose and ends at the eyes.

If the bowel is significantly misshapen this will affect the way energy shoots along the colon meridian past the voice box and around the mouth- causing essentially misfires to occur. I'm sure I know what causes the initial bowel disease but that's another more contentious matter. My guess is that many stutterers would get a fair bit of release just by doing some tapping with a blessing on each colon 4 point on their hands. More relief would come via electro-acupuncture on those points and more still if diet was employed too.
With a Silent Mind https://youtu.be/-tbXPjqWG_s
Mythological Cosmology https://youtu.be/t7EAlTcZFwY
Jargo
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby seabreezeblue » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07 pm

^^ how would the tapping re-shape the bowel?

Surely only surgery would be able to do that..
I'm not discounting the tapping method for helping stuttering because relaxation exercises have been shown to help reduce stuttering and if tapping can reduce the stress levels of the person with the stuttering issue then it follows that it would reduce the stuttering..
but the tapping cannot re-shape the bowel and therefore it can't be the bowel shape that is the issue if the tapping works.. no?

I do just want to mention that electro-acupuncture is not wholly safe.. most especially for those people with epilepsy or pace-makers.. there's also a small risk of infection from the needles, same as in traditional acupuncture..
Not saying for people to never try it - just please do research the acupuncturist as thoroughly as an aspie with an obsession.. :wink:
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Hans » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 am

[quote="atchley"]Dear greatar 4,

" The cause of child-onset stuttering is not known at the time of my post, but I believe stuttering is caused by being born with in-coordinated muscles for speaking/breathing, which was no fault of the biological parents. I also believe emotions do not cause stuttering, but instead make it worse."

Dear John,
Having been a severe stutterer for 56 of my 69 years, I agree with a number of your statements. While unable to say why I started to stutter as a toddler, I know what kept it going for so many years. Today I puzzle why I never asked myself, "If I'm completely fluent in private, yet stutter as soon as I even suspect someone can hear me, how can there be something physically wrong with me?"

As a stutterer I looked inwards, totally self-absorbed, while battling with my fear of words. Connection with my audience was virtually non-existent. Fear and self-doubt formed an invisible barrier that essentially isolated me from the world around me.

Now free of my fear of stuttering and, more to the point, fear of people (the listener), I know how important a change of focus is. Finding a way to connect with the listener to the extent of forgetting myself was the key. I found it impossible to imagine what he/she was feeling and observe myself at the same time. Asking questions followed by attentive listening (very difficult) brightened my day with a real meeting of people I'd known for many years who were still strangers.

At first, physical touch, so scary 'till then, was a real ice-breaker. My hand on an arm or shoulder instantly melted away any fear. Something passed between us akin to magic. Soon a friendly smile was sufficient. Slowly I found myself mentally dismantling the barrier that had protected yet imprisoned me like a golden cage.

If this sounds a quick fix, let me be clear. It's taken 13 years to consolidate my freedom. With each passing year I noticed old habits letting go, old belief systems crumbling. These days I don't think about speech or stuttering. If a word becomes scary again, I remind myself that it's a phobia trying to reassert itself; to stop looking inward again. It's OK to know myself, but not at the expense of ignoring everyone around me.

You might even say that it requires love.

Hans
Hans
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Postby sadspecific » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Thank you, I will definitely try it. :)
sadspecific
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 am

Return to Stuttering Forum