Our partner

What Causes Stuttering?

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

What Causes Stuttering?

Postby Pollygirl » Sun May 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I don't stutter, but someone I know does. I have always wondered why he stutters. I love him a lot and though he works right through it in his life, it hurts me to see him have to struggle with anything.

Could it be that he had an anxious, sometimes angry, withholding parent (not letting him do some normal kid things like watch TV on weekend mornings, sort of semi-shame stuff).

Could it be that his older sibling was so troubled that she took the attention from the parents that he needed?

Could it be that because he was a handful as a child that one day he did a bad kid thing and shocked himself into stuttering from that moment on? (That is the explanation the parents give.)

Thank you.
Pollygirl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What Causes Stuttering?

Postby Chucky » Mon May 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Stuttering is one of those things that can be caused by a recognised physical illness (e.g. in the brain), but it can of course be caused by stress and anxiety too. The questions you've asked cannot really be answered too well by anyone here, as there isn't much other information to go on. I believe that someone who lives in fear as they grow up can end-up being a stuttering adult/teenager. Their voice 'trembles' as they speak and they misplace their words. I still do this now, in fact, even though i'm 27 years old. It could also be caused by a hyperactivity disorder, whereby the person is trying to speak faster than their vocal chords can actually handle.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Pollygirl » Mon May 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Chucky wrote:Stuttering is one of those things that can be caused by a recognised physical illness (e.g. in the brain), but it can of course be caused by stress and anxiety too. The questions you've asked cannot really be answered too well by anyone here, as there isn't much other information to go on. I believe that someone who lives in fear as they grow up can end-up being a stuttering adult/teenager. Their voice 'trembles' as they speak and they misplace their words. I still do this now, in fact, even though i'm 27 years old. It could also be caused by a hyperactivity disorder, whereby the person is trying to speak faster than their vocal chords can actually handle.

Kevin

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.
Pollygirl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby sophie_fay » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 pm

well like the person above said it can be physicall thing. however if you would like i can explain my story?

when i was litle i saw my dad pu my mum in hospital through violence. this caused my stuttering , it was from anxiety i suppose. well at the time i was about 5 and my mum tried everything hen she went to a wonderfull doctor who gave her a tip which she followed even though it sounds cruel. basically she would ignor me unill i said it wihout stuttering like if i asked for a drink she would stand with her back o me crying because she fel so sorry for me bu she refused o answer me unill i said it right. it may sound cruel but it worked! i am now 20 and i do not stutter much anymore. in fact unless im nervouse i never stutter. when i am nervouse if i know im about to stutter or if i do i stop pause think about what i want to say take a deep breath and say it clearly :)

i realise that this probably wouldent work on an adult or teenager however i just though it might answer some of your questions.

if you do know a parent with a stuttering child maybe you could pass on my story but be sure to add that i dont resent my mum for ignoring me it was for he best and i thank her for it now.

hope this helps xxx
sophie_fay
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby airplane8888 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 pm

I dated a woman for over 2 years who stuttered but she never stuttered while having a orgasm and when I performed oral sex on her she sound like any other person and she had not had her climaxes yet. She was able to tell me how great it felt and even to directing me to suck on her clit when she was close and to keep doing that while she was climaxing. Why would the act of oral sex keep her from stuttering, I can understand why at the edge of multi orgasms she wouldn't stuttered. Have any other women had the same thing happen to them ?

Airplane
airplane8888
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 am

Postby Miko32 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi,

I stutter as well, but dont really know the reason behind it. I remember my first stutter when I was about 12 or 13 and have been stuttering since. I have gone through hell, but I am ok now and live a normal life.

Miro
Miko32
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Anxiety Guru » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 am

I am very late on this post. But I want to shed some light on the mechanisms of stuttering.

I have had it all of my life and I want to say that stuttering is detrimental to social and emotional health. It is a tough physical disorder to deal with. It is a medical condition. Stuttering takes its toll on the individual but it really is not a big factor in someone's life. It does not determine if the person can have a happy life. Stuttering is sort of an underlying condition that can cause anxieties and stress.

Stuttering is caused by faulty muscle movements in the face and, the muscles for speech below the jaw aren't working the right way. Usually for someone who stutters into adulthood it is an anxious response to stimuli and it is also a stressor to the individual. When someone prompts the stutterer to speak, he may get anxious from being prompted and have a pause and then try to speak. His muscles in his jaw might tighten and his ability to fluently say the words can be compromised.

Bottom line is that this is a physiological disorder that can be exacerbated by a psychological disorder. Getting speech therapy can probably help a lot as long as it isn't truly a physiological defect. All in all, stuttering that is severe and chronic is more of a defect. Stuttering that lessens and comes back worse and follows this trend is stress, anxiety, and self esteem playing a roll in the condition.

If you know someone who stutters, tell him it will be okay. Tell him that it does not define him. It is a part of the person but it is a condition that can diminish.
Anxiety Guru
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:38 am

Postby kenny66 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 am

well now that i am having a good run on my meds at the moment i can comment on this. i started stuttering early on in life in conjunction with very severe emotional and physical abuse from the creature thing, that i will loosely term my father, against me and my mom. i had it right through my teens into adult life from about 6 but i did not stutter all the time. i went on to do employment which involved some public speaking and some days i could do it and sometimes i couldn't..just depended if was fixated on my abuse on those days or not and was super stressed or not. on some days it is very bad and sometimes even worse because i use it as a mechanism not to engage with people such as my podoc when he tries to get into my head against my wishes. for me, i dont think its physical though.. i can pinpoint it all back to the circumstances surrounding my abuse. by the way, it never stopped from being either articulate or intelligent but people treated me different which was no big deal really. some people are understanding and some are not. it took me a long time to get over the shock of being beaten up every night when i finally ran away from home so i think ptsd is somewhere in the mix there.
DX: Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type-OCD-PTSD
Seroquel-Saphris-Lamotrigine-Lithium
kenny66
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post