Our partner

Understanding my stuttering

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Understanding my stuttering

Postby sharvyn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm

I have spent some minutes reading papers on this "disability", and I must say that most of what were proposed are real for me.

My life has always been plagued with this. I usually avoid situations where I have to talk. It affected my school life and work life.

I have always wanted help in this matter, but it isn't easy to find appropriate help around where I live. However, I have some questions I want to ask the members on this forum.

I have noticed that my stuttering comes from uncontrolled breathing. I haven't tried breathing exercises yet though. I also noticed that after talking for a very long time (with and without stutters), my lungs feel heavy and tired which makes talking difficult. Are these two things I have mentioned present in diagnosed cases of (mild) stuttering?

I have to mention that I suffer from other issues too, eg. depression, anxiety, insomnia, and bipolar disorder(self diagnosed).
sharvyn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Understanding my stuttering

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 pm

When I am stuttering a lot, my breathing changes because I can't mouth out the words, or I mean that I can't say them so somehow, my breathing does change. Or I even stop breathing. I hope others will give their input. I think I understand what you mean.

Stuttering has affected my life so much in terms of my choices in life for jobs I pick. I don't like to answer phone calls because I will get nervous sometimes and my stutter show up. Very embarrassing. It's happened a few times and I hate it. But I was the only person who could get the phone at the time.

Do you have any professional help in a larger city nearby?
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer