Our partner

Any ideas on how can I help my student?

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Any ideas on how can I help my student?

Postby SweetAs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi everyone. I'm an English teacher in Japan and run a school with my wife. We help students with English from aged 5 up until high school. One of our students, a young 8-year old girl has real difficulty getting a sentence out. She tries really hard but stutters (quietly, almost under her breath) before eventually getting the sentence out, often in parts. She has always had a little trouble with speaking but in the last month or so it has gotten a lot worse. We have talked to the mother and she is aware of the problem but it's frustratingly difficult to find good mental/developmental health care in Japan at times. While I understand she will need help and training in her native tongue with a professional (I actually have a degree in psychology and counselling experience but this is a new one for me), I am wondering if there are any exercise I can do with her, recommend to the parents? I really want to help this little girl, I can see she is trying so hard but is frustrated at no being able to "get it out". Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

P.S. If it helps, the class she is in is small (4-5 students) and her older sister (10) takes the class too.
SweetAs
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Any ideas on how can I help my student?

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:24 pm

You ask how to help her. The most important thing for me was that I had others who were trying to help me. That was helpful. Knowing I was not alone and felt so strange or weird, although you can't help how you feel anyway. My stutter is where I have trouble vocalizing vowel sounds. I can sit in the car alone and I'll struggle. It's a real problem but all I got was some speech therapy in elementary school. I hate that I stutter. It affects so many aspects of my life. So, for me it was support and understanding is important. And if you push her too much or she pushes herself too much, it just gets more frustrating. For her especially. I see in myself if I am calm I can vocalize the sounds easily, but when I am nervous, I literally can't speak. I feel so bad for her. I've had this stutter since I was a tiny little girl. My advice is to seek out help while she is still young and she can implement this type of help from a qualified professional before she picks up bad habits in trying to deal with it. I coped by being shy and being quiet. I was afraid I'd stutter and I missed out on so much. I hardly ever stutter now, but it's there. I wish you the best of luck for you and for this little girl. It pains me so much. I fear nothing except for stuttering.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Away from mod duties, please contact another moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:03 am
Blog: View Blog (87)

Postby SweetAs » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:26 am

Thank you for the reply. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to go through and really appreciate the input. I'll do whatever I can to see that she gets qualified help as soon as possible. Her regular school elementary teacher won't get involved so I feel as though it's up to my wife and I to make her parents see they need to act right away. Thanks again and all the best!
SweetAs
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:52 am

You're welcome.

If you would like to and if you are able to, you are welcome to put any updates as you receive them. I moderate this forum and I always read new posts.

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby SweetAs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:56 pm

We're meeting the mother later this week. Hopefully something comes of it!
SweetAs
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm

A step in the right direction. Wonderful news! I send you good vibes in your meeting with them. :D

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby SweetAs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 am

Just thought I'd post an update. We have found the girl a speech and language therapist and she is doing some exercises at home with her mother as recommended by the therapist. Found out that some recent changes in her family life (due to changes in father's job he is at home a lot more now) may have been a little unsettling or possibly making her more nervous. But with everyone co-operating and this girl's impressive determination, her condition is improving little by little and she seems a lot happier now. Her stutter is still there but less intrusive than before, hopefully it will continue to improve. Guess only time will tell, still early days yet. Thanks for the positivity!
SweetAs
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Thank you for the update!

It sounds like she seems happier and thank goodness she is getting help. That is wonderful! Yes, do keep the updates coming as you are able to. :D

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Postby Bginagin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 am

I haven't been here in a long while, but thought I would drop in to see if there was any activity on this site. I see there has been some!

I posted a long time ago about my challenges with stuttering.. I am currently experiencing an extremely difficult time with the stutter, and have withdrawn for the most part. I ran into a friend of my daughter's a couple days ago and froze. I don't have to give a full description of what those moments are like, because most of us who stutter know the feeling.

Not looking for a response, just wanting to express my frustration somewhere.

Thanks for your read time.
I may not know my way right now, but I will know real soon..
Bginagin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Bginagin wrote:I haven't been here in a long while, but thought I would drop in to see if there was any activity on this site. I see there has been some!

I posted a long time ago about my challenges with stuttering.. I am currently experiencing an extremely difficult time with the stutter, and have withdrawn for the most part. I ran into a friend of my daughter's a couple days ago and froze. I don't have to give a full description of what those moments are like, because most of us who stutter know the feeling.

Not looking for a response, just wanting to express my frustration somewhere.

Thanks for your read time.

I understand the feeling. When I do start to stutter more, I hide at home and am very nervous.

It's so nice to see you post here. It is a slow forum, but we can chat a bit every now and about what questions we have or just some sharing. :D

Forum Rules

quietgirl2538

Next

Return to Stuttering Forum