Our partner

Temporary or stress induced stutters?

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Temporary or stress induced stutters?

Postby HopefulPrincen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 am

So I came across an odd situation and I like to know if any of you are in a similar situation or have seen such a thing. My friend sort of disappeared for a few weeks. When she returned, she revealed that she had been ill, but didn't specify what happened. She mentioned going to a hospital the whole time.
Now, I immediately noticed she had developed a pretty significant stutter.
However, the very next day, it was completely gone.
Since then, I have not heard her stutter at all.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard this, because I immediately began questioning if I had simply been imagining the whole thing. I have some symptoms that could have caused such confusion, so I'm just wondering if any of you know of or have experienced anything similar. Is this a real thing that can happen?
HopefulPrincen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 8:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Temporary or stress induced stutters?

Postby swarm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:42 am

I have a stutter that comes and goes. it usually does not last longer than a week and sometimes lasts less than a day. it is related to PTSD and trauma for me. I hardly ever stuttered at all as a child and when I was 20 it started. I wonder though if what i have might be more accurately called cluttering.
swarm
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Postby oversizedsweaterr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 am

I don't stutter on a day to day basis, more or less just in a few sentences here and there when I'm either-
A) having a massive bout of anxiety
or
B) am thinking faster than I can get my words out

I don't know if you'll find that helpful or not, but ? I thought I could share in case it would...
oversizedsweaterr
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Postby Jessme513 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:36 am

I develop stuttering when I am very stressed. I do have anxiety/panic attacks which have landed me in the hospital for rule out heart attack. Very unpleasant. Feels like I cannot get my words out. It's like the words are just stuck, won't form, frustrating. Of course, then I am even more anxious because of the stuttering. My ex would get angry at me when I did that and yell that I was faking it. Why would someone fake this? Oh well, that is a different animal.
I don't stutter now that the stress is out of my life. Also, I would choke on food. Doctor ordered a swallow study once when I was in hospital. The tech brought in liquids and semi solids such as pudding type foods. Those I have no problem with. It is solids, like meats, bread. Also have dry mouth cuz of medications. Don't know if the dryness contributes to the stuttering, I know it does the swallowing to a point.
For others suffering with this, I hope what I have said gives some hope. Stress can really ravage our health. And, for no good reason.
Jessme513
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:44 pm

I get nervous and stutter when stressed out and have lots of anxiety. Then when I feel calmed down, even if it's just a couple of hours later, it goes away. My stutter is there and I don't believe it will ever go away, but it also doesn't show up all the time or even hardly at all. Just certain times.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (89)

Postby Bginagin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 am

Mine wax and wane too.

I was speaking with a journalist today, and the word -when- was impossible for me to get out. It just hung out in my head never to reach my tongue. :oops:

It was the one time I wish the woman would have filled in the blanks. O well, I survived the embarrassment.
I may not know my way right now, but I will know real soon..
Bginagin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I understand the feeling. I called my sister-in-law and for whatever reason my stutter came out I couldn't speak. Low sounds came out on the phone and she mentioned that she got a call from someone and other mean things. I just acted like, Oh really? It was me and I just shook my head because what else could I do. People don't always understand those who stutter and how hard we are on ourselves (at times).
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538

Blog: View Blog (89)

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies