Our partner

Gone in One Day, What Do You Think?

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Gone in One Day, What Do You Think?

Postby IMGaeta » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 am

So, I have stuttered all my life. I am 21 years old, and at the age of 20, it disappeared. In just one day, gone. I want to see what you guys think of it and whatnot.

Background: I am bilingual and stutter differently according to what language I use and with who. My brother had a stutter then went to speech therapy when he was in elementary school. When I was his age, there was no longer a speech therapist in the entire district. My brother and dad have fast rates of speech, and so, I did too. I think faster than I speak. Intelligibility was sometimes difficult, but didn't have any articulation difficulties.

Circumstances: I wouldn't say my stuttering was severe, but definitely very noticeable. I would stutter mostly when I tried telling a story or a joke. When I was uncomfortable around people or doubted myself. Speaking Spanish (without fail). Random at times. The more I thought about it, the more it'll happen.

My stutter wouldn't happen when I spoke to myself. Saying something scripted was easy, but initiation was difficult. Speaking would be less difficult when I'm fully comfortable.

And then it was gone:
I moved away four hours away from home for college and it disappeared. I am sometimes amazed how I can speak now! Not more random stops, no more uncomfortable facial tightness and twitching, no more forcing a sound out. I barely even realized it was gone until a week later. I came to the conclusion it may have been because of stress or anxiety.

When I visited home, the stutter came back, but with much less severity. Spanish is still very difficult for me, but still a bit easier. Again, returning back to Los Angeles, the stuttering is gone.

What do you guys think of this? Maybe stress or anxiety based stuttering? I've been much more social and "out there" than ever before. Maybe it's a confidence boost that I needed? I don't know.
IMGaeta
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Gone in One Day, What Do You Think?

Postby MrDave » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi!

You speak english at college and spanish at home ?

Well i guess the stuttering is mostly triggered while you speak spanish, as that is the language you haven been into ''threatening'' stuttering situations in the past and the mind remembers that. So when you speak in english it wont trigger the stuttering as much as with the spanish.

I red about a person who lived in US when i was very young and he didnt stutter.
Later he moved to Sweden and that is where he started stuttering when he was a few years old
When he later moved back to US when he was like 18 years old, he found out that he didnt stutter at all when speaking english. When he had speaked fluently in a longer time, that allso healed hes speech in Swedish.
MrDave
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Stuttering Forum