Our partner

Sudden onset of stuttering

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Sudden onset of stuttering

Postby Tucson AZ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Hello, I am a 45 yr old male. I have been experiencing severe vertigo daily for 7 months now. I am going through MS screening and have been told by one neuro I did have MS and was told by another I don't.thats a whole other story. I wasn't feeling very well so took about an hour nap upon waking I have had a difficult time speaking. I find myself at a loss for words, worse then before and seem to have a very noticeable stutter that I have never had before. I do have a really bad headache, worse then others that I tend to have daily. The headache doesn't concern me, it's the loss for words and the sudden onset of stuttering. I have called and left a message for my primary doc, just not sure it I should go to urgent care or wait for his pnretrn call. Has anyone else experience this? It really has me concerned. Thanks for your help....

Stressed, confused and stuttering in Tucson,Az
Tucson AZ
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sudden onset of stuttering

Postby atchley » Sat May 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Dear Tucson AZ,

I have been a practicing speech-language pathologist who specializes in helping people who stutters for eighteen years. I realize your post is old, but I was hoping you or someone else could benefit from the details. Adult onset of stuttering is caused by a psychogenic origin, an underlying disease, or a stroke. I hope you visited your local emergency room shortly after posting here. You would have needed to rule out a stroke. If you were not having a stroke and continue to exhibit symptoms including stuttering, you should meet with your primary care physician or other physicians to rule out the underlying disease or determine a psychogenic origin.

All My Best
John Atchley, MA, CCC-SLP
Certified and Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist
http://StutteringPros.com
atchley
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies