Our partner

We need more research on stuttering

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

We need more research on stuttering

Postby Panov » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm

First off, my name is Eugene. I have been a stutterer since I was six-years-old. I can actually remember my childhood where I didn't stutter at all.

My stutter became worse with every year and at times it seemed to improve and then get worse again. My life goal is to find a cure for stuttering and help the many people in the world who suffer from it daily. I have been doing research on the internet for many years in hope of answers but so far I have found none. I have had speech therapy in school but it did nothing more but get me away from class for an hour.

I have experimented with many drugs during my lifetime, from stimulants to hallucinogens hoping to find an answer with why I'm unable to speak the way that people without the disorder speak and the answer came to me when I tried the stimulant known as cocaine.

Cocaine supposedly boosts your dopamine levels sky high making you feel unstoppable. I noticed that whenever I speak to someone while on cocaine I have 100% fluency and it makes me feel more confident.

Is it possible that stutterers have low dopamine production in their receptors? I read an article with a hypothesis saying that we have way higher dopamine levels than usual but that doesn't make sense.

Also I'm sure most of you know that when you're talking to yourself out loud or with an animal you have 100% fluency. If it's a genetic trait why is it that we can achieve fluency by simply being alone or speaking with animals? We're no different than other people who talk more fluently.

I think the problem is that we were tortured when the stuttering emerged at an early age. By torture I mean being made fun of and laughed at because we couldn't say a word. It certainly dropped our confidence to it's lowest peak and we started developing a fear of speaking to people because we think that they'll judge us for the way we speak. Our sub-conscience brings out the same fear of when we were younger and causes us to panic or avoid social contact at any point of day.

Now, there are different types of stutterers. Some even stutter when they're alone. That's why this disorder is so damn complex because everyone has their own triggers for their stutterer and have had different experiences. BUT THERE HAS TO BE SOME TYPE OF CONNECTION!

Never give up on achieving fluency, you gotta write everything down about yourself and what causes you to stutter. From there on, look for patterns.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post and if you have something to add I will value your opinion and reply as soon as I can!
Panov
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: We need more research on stuttering

Postby Dazz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 pm

I've used cocaine and I still stuttered during and I stutter when talking to myself at times. Also I was never bullied, some people tried to make fun at times (like kids/teens do generally) but my reaction wasn't what they were hoping for. Also I don't care about becoming 100% fluent.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am

Re: We need more research on stuttering

Postby atchley » Fri May 22, 2015 11:53 am

The exact cause of stuttering is still not officially known but most agree that genetics, child development, neurophysiology, and family dynamics play a critical role.

There are four different types of stuttering (as you mention), which include adult onset fluency disorder, childhood onset fluency disorder, fluency disorders with underlying disease or conditions, and fluency disorder as a late effect of cerebrovascular disease. Each may have different causes,but there are still no strong evidence to confirm or deny that.
John Atchley, MA, CCC-SLP
Certified and Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist
http://StutteringPros.com
atchley
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:24 am

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views