Our partner

Lack of Speech?

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Lack of Speech?

Postby DivineSilence » Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 am

This is the only place I can find to post this. I'm sorry if it's not in the right spot.

For years, I've had problems with my speech. It started out with stuttering, and now it's to the point where I can't even open up my mouth to talk. Recently, I've gone to order a latte by myself with my friends waiting at a table, and as soon as I walked up to the lady behind the counter, I froze. I couldn't open my mouth at all, it was so embarrassing! I was so tempted to just hold up my hand as if to say 'wait,' but I finally said 'um, give me a second' after a minute or two.

I was so embarrassed, and it's so embarrassing just having this problem in general. I just stood there, staring at the counter with the words in my head, but my mouth glued shut and my throat closed! This has been happening to me a lot this past year or two. I could never find my words, so I always let other people talk for me.

I am a quiet person. I've been labeled as a quiet person my entire life. I wasn't social at all as a child, I was home schooled so I had only talked to my family, I was too shy to talk to anyone outside. Could this have caused it? My years of not speaking publicly? I'm only a teen, I don't know if this is going to stay with me forever or if I'll come over it. :(

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get an answer! Thank you
Last edited by lilyfairy on Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small edit- PM to follow
DivineSilence
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 3:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Lack of Speech?

Postby arold10 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

I am not quite sure that your shyness has anything to do with that because the are lot people who are shy, but I've never heard any of them had this type of problem. It may well be a psychological issue, I'd probably recommend you to see a doctor about that.
arold10
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Lack of Speech?

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:03 pm

I am 39 and I've had this problem all my life. Although now as an adult it's rare that it happens, it does happen sometimes. Once in a blue moon, this problem pops up out of nowhere.

I've been this way since I was a toddler. My mom used to say I would try to talk and I either stuttered or I couldn't talk. As a kid and a teen I would get so nervous thinking I would get like this I made it worse. I think for me it was the nervousness or also certain sounds like the vowel sounds, any letter that would start with a vowel sounding word would put me at a chance to getting this way. I now try to use other words or start a conversation with something else other than what I originally wanted to start off with and I quickly move it to where it seems I didn't have a problem with speaking. I wish I wasn't this way but I am and there is nothing I am going to do to fix it but I do know there are speech therapists and people who can help. Good luck.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 am
Blog: View Blog (89)

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies