Our partner

Wife's Shopping Addiction

Spending addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Wife's Shopping Addiction

Postby KoltonKC » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pm

I have been trying to help my wife deal with her shopping addiction and have been unsuccessful to this point. I guess you could say I am reaching for any advice or help in order to save a marriage that is falling apart. We have been together 10 years, married for 4 of them and have two wonderful kids.

I always had an idea that she spent a lot of money, but it wasn't until we got a joint account that I really started seeing there were issues. I have a good paying job but between her salary and mine, we barely make enough as it is to get all bills taken care of as well as paying for private school for the kids. It was about two years ago when she finally admitted to having a problem so we tired counseling, tried a cash allowance, tried taking away credit cards, only to end with her opening a new credit card account or PayPal account. Nothing has worked. She will stop for a short period of time, but it all eventually comes back in bunches. I tried making rules of limiting phone screen time at night but that fell through and unfortunately she has a job with a lot of free time she can spend on the computer browsing online. She is a hard worker and a great mother to our kids, but she has put us in such a financial hole that it makes it hard for me to stay motivated to give 100% everyday at work knowing it is money just going to her addiction. Now I am fighting depression and anxiety most of the time which is something I have never had to deal with. She has also fell back into denial and blaming it all on me for not doing enough to help.

I am a simple person that doesn't need much so it took me a lot longer to understand than addiction to shopping. I have done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion this all stems from her insecurities. All of the clothes and shoes she buys (you wouldn't believe the amount of clothes) are a mask. I tried to motivate her to exercise and just like anything else, she doesn't stick with it. Her insecurities also don't allow for much of a sex life either. Maybe once a month, twice if I am lucky but that's a whole other thing. For the first time in our relationship, I am considering a divorce. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to try and make this work and keep the family together. I do love her and care for her tremendously but I just don't know how much longer I can keep myself together after fighting this for so long. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
KoltonKC
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Spending Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post